Monday, November 29, 2021

3 injured in knife attack on German train

Local police said three people were injured in a knife attack on a speeding train in southern Germany on Saturday. A suspect has been arrested.

Authorities said the threat was averted and a 27-year-old man was in custody, with unconfirmed media reports saying the suspect was of Syrian origin and suffering from mental problems.

The motive for the attack on a passenger train from Bavaria to the northern city of Hamburg is still unclear.

Local prosecutors are handling the case instead of federal officials who will deal with suspected terrorism.

Three victims were undergoing treatment at the hospital, police said in the Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz, adding that no one had life-threatening injuries.

The ICE high-speed train was stopped at Sabersdorf station, southeast of Nuremberg, and travel on the line was suspended.

Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said on Twitter: “This knife attack is horrible.”

“I want to thank everyone, especially the police and train staff for their bravery, which prevented anything worse from happening.

“The motive of the crime is still unclear and will be determined now.”

The attack comes at a time of tension in Germany, which faces terror threats from jihadists and right-wing extremist groups.

Read Also:  CG: A large number of MLAs, including three state ministers, have left for Delhi, following the shocking remarks of the PCC chief.

Islamist suspects have carried out several violent attacks in recent years, the deadliest of which was a truck stampede at a Berlin Christmas market in December 2016 in which 12 people were killed.

The Tunisian attacker, a failed asylum seeker, was a supporter of the Islamic State jihadist group.

Seehofer said earlier this year that German authorities had foiled 23 attacks since 2000.

“Germany and Western Europe are still in the eyes of radical Islamists,” he warned at the time.

According to the Interior Ministry, the number of Islamists considered dangerous in Germany has increased five-fold to 615 since 2013.

There were several attacks or attempts by asylum seekers who arrived in Germany during the 2015 migration crisis.

Chancellor Angela Merkel opened the country’s doors to nearly 900,000 asylum seekers.

German officials believe the attackers planned their actions alone, unlike some of the attacks in France in 2015 that were ordered by the Islamic State jihadist group.

.

This article is republished from – Voa News – Read the – original article.

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -