33 COVID-19 hospitalizations, no deaths in London area



The number of people with COVID-19 in a London hospital remained stable on Tuesday.

The London Health Sciences Center (LHSC) reported that it has 33 patients hospitalized with the virus. This is unchanged since Monday. The duration of COVID-19 hospitalizations in the region has ranged from low 30 to low 40 full months. LHSC officials specified that 13 of the currently admitted COVID-19 positive patients are being treated for the virus. Another 20 are being treated for other ailments, but have also tested positive for COVID-19.

Admission to the intensive care unit, held at five or fewer, is at the same level since Friday. Children’s Hospital has five or fewer COVID-19 positive patients, with none in pediatric critical care in their care.

The number of workers who tested positive saw a slight increase on Tuesday. The LHSC reported 72 infected employees, two more than the previous day. At this time 75 workers were sick last week.

There are three level two outbreaks underway at University Hospital – one at the U7 clinical neurology unit, another at the U6 CVT unit, and the third at the U7 cardiology unit.

The Middlesex London Health Unit recorded 15 new COVID-19 infections on Tuesday. This is down from 29 on Monday and the lowest number of single-day cases reported since November 30. The new infections bring the total number of cases since March 2020 to 38,162. The number of daily cases has been an underestimate of the community spread due to limits placed on testability at the end of last year.

For the sixth day in a row, there were no additional COVID-19 deaths, taking the local death toll to 391. The number of cured people increased to 37,408. The health unit said the region has 363 known active cases of the virus, down 17 from Monday.

The local vaccination rate has seen little movement in the past week. The latest figures released by the health unit show 93.9 per cent of residents aged 12 and above have received a single dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 91.8 per cent of people in the same age group have received two doses. The third and fourth doses have been given to 57 percent and 9.6 percent of the area’s residents.

As of Saturday, there have been 1,169,233 locally administered doses since December 2020.

Southwestern Public Health, the health unit for Elgin and Oxford counties, does not update its COVID-19 cases dashboard on Tuesday. Its next update will be released on Wednesday.

COVID-19 hospitalizations and virus deaths increased in Ontario on Tuesday.

According to public health officials, 808 COVID-19 positive patients are being treated in hospitals across the province. This is 197 more than the figures released on Monday. Despite the increase recorded on Tuesday, the hospitalization figures are still lower than last week when 890 people were hospitalized with the virus.

A provincial breakdown of hospitalization numbers over the past 24 hours shows that around 41 per cent were hospitalized due to COVID-19. The remaining 59 per cent were admitted for other reasons but tested positive for COVID-19.

The number of COVID-19 positive people admitted to intensive care decreased from seven to 140. Last Tuesday, there were 157 people in the ICU.

Ontario reported 590 new cases on Tuesday. However, the one-day tally is less relevant as the provincial government has restricted eligibility for publicly funded COVID-19 tests. Ontario’s total since the start of the pandemic now stands at 1,303,033.

There have been 15 more deaths due to this virus in the last 24 hours. One of these deaths occurred more than a month ago and was added to the total count as part of the data cleanup. The total death toll from the virus in Ontario now stands at 13,241.

Public health officials confirmed that 9,535 COVID-19 tests were processed in the last 24 hours. The test positivity rate now stands at 8.3 per cent, up from 9.1 per cent a week ago.

To date, the province has given 33,358,097 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, with 91.3 percent of people 12 and older receiving two doses. More than 7.3 million people, or 57 percent, have received a booster shot.

33 COVID-19 hospitalizations, no deaths in London area

Subscribe

Get the best of Newspaper delivered to your inbox daily

Most Viewed

Related Stories