40% of women who go to hospital with fractures have faced gender-based violence at some point in their lives

0
112
40% of women who go to hospital with fractures have faced gender-based violence at some point in their lives

the study Simultaneous demonstration in six hospitals from Canada, the Netherlands, Finland and Spain and published by ‘The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery’, as reported in a statement by the Val d’Hebron Hospital in Barcelona on Tuesday.

To enter the studio you must meet certain requirements; Happen old woman with recent traumatic injury and be able to answer researchers’ questions autonomously.

250 participants were selected who were asked A Questionnaire on Gender Violence which was repeated in all visits. The evaluation of each patient was divided into an initial visit and four follow-up visits for one year.

In the Val d’Hebron, twelve professionals from orthopedic surgery and traumatology service, rehabilitation and burns Maria Villar, internal medicine consultant at Val d’Hebron Hospital and researcher in the Reconstructive Surgery Group of the Locomotor System of the Val d’Hebron Research Institute (VHIR), under the direction of Dr.

Of the women who declared to have experienced any form of sexual violence (physical, emotional or sexual), 79% did so during the initial visit, while the remaining 21% did so at subsequent follow-up. The researchers offer two hypotheses for this second group, which are not mutually exclusive.

The first is that of vulnerability and dependency Orthopedic injuries increase your risk of intimate partner violence,

Several studies have shown that women with reduced mobility have a higher percentage of abuse and a higher incidence has also been detected during health-complicating periods such as pregnancy and postpartum.

The second hypothesis is that during follow-up, a bond of trust between the patient and healthcare professionalsIt allows women to disclose previously unreported cases of violence.

Researcher Yaiza García said that traumatology has an important place and it is likely that health professionals will come across women who have faced gender-based violence of any kind: ” skeletal muscle injuries The second most common injuries arising from partner aggression,