According to MedlinePlus, an online information service of the United States National Library of Medicine, mental health includes the emotional, psychological and social well-being, which influence the way we think, feel and act in different areas. Therefore, it is important at all stages of life, from childhood and adolescence to adulthood and old age.
Since ancient times, mental health has been studied by psychologists, philosophers and other specialists in the field. With this in mind, they have made it their mission to put together the characteristics that make up a person “emotionally healthy” such as the Ministry of Public Health and Social Welfare of Paraguay, which reveals on its web portal some of these key elements of a person’s personality.
1. They live contentedly with themselves: They have self-love, they look at their past positively, they accept their shortcomings and limitations, but they make the most of their qualities, skills and abilities and use them to their advantage to find solutions to difficulties.
2. You manifest a constant Wish Superacion: They have aspirations that they set as short, medium and long term goals.
3. You can withstand disappointments and setbacks without affecting them too much.
4. Be considerate of others, and emotional responsibility. Therefore, they build satisfying and lasting personal relationships by respecting their way of being, feeling and thinking.
5. You are up to the demands of life: According to the portal of the southern country, they plan in advance and are not afraid of the future. Likewise, they try to solve their problems as soon as they arise. You like to accept new experiences and new ideas.
Why is mental health important?
According to MedlinePlus, mental health is important because it can help us:
- Be physically healthy
- Have healthy relationships
- Cope with the stress of life
- Make a meaningful contribution to your community
- Reach our full potential
Additionally, mental health is also important as it can impact physical health. For example, mental disorders can increase the risk of physical health problems such as stroke, type 2 diabetes or heart disease.