Havana: So far 59 Cubans have been prosecuted for taking part in unprecedented demonstrations against the government earlier this month. A senior official gave this information on Saturday.
The charges were minor, and the total number of people detained has not been released amid complaints from relatives seeking information about loved ones.
“Till yesterday, 19 judicial proceedings had reached the country’s urban courts, cases involving 59 people accused of committing alleged crimes. [during] These disturbances,” Supreme Court President Ruben Remigio Ferro told reporters.
On July 11 and 12, in the largest protests since the 1959 revolution that brought Fidel Castro to power, thousands of Cubans took to the streets, chanting “Freedom,” “Down with the dictatorship” and “We are hungry”. By putting
Hundreds of people were arrested for allegedly marching without face masks and many were charged with contempt, public disorder, vandalism and propaganda of the coronavirus pandemic.
Independent observers and activists have published a list of those arrested, which bears at least 600 names.
Ferro said a speedy trial system was being used to prosecute the accused, but assured that due process was being followed.
The rallies came as the country faced the worst economic crisis in 30 years with chronic shortages of electricity, food and medicine amid a surge in COVID-19 cases.
Aniello Troya, one of the creators of the anti-government rap song adopted by the protesters, was sentenced on Wednesday to a year in prison for “public disorder,” according to his family.