In the kitchen, We always have to be very careful about what we eat, especially in relation to for cooking meat and seafood, Because if we do not treat them appropriately, consuming them can be extremely dangerous.
An example of this is what happened to a young mother from California who lost all her limbs after contracting a dangerous bacteria from eating a piece of raw tilapia.
According to several local media reports Laura Barajas, 40, bought the tilapia fish at a local market in San Jose last month. which she cooked and ate alone at home. But a few days later they felt symptoms that got worse and the woman had to be taken to hospital.
After several tests and after she spent just over a month in the hospital, doctors determined this was the case an infection caused by bacteria Vibrio harmful, which he contracted from eating improperly cooked tilapia.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to the bacteria Vibrio harmful Found primarily in the warmer waters of the Gulf of Mexico and is the cause of approximately 80,000 illnesses in the United States each year.
The CDC also notes that the symptoms of an infection caused by this bacteria include: watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever. Also, la Vibrio vulnificus It can enter our body through a wound; In this case, there may be redness, pain, swelling, heat, discoloration, and discharge in the infected area.
The most common cause of infections Vibrio It occurs from eating raw or undercooked oysters and shellfish. They also recommend staying away from salt water if you have an open wound to avoid danger.
“Do not eat raw or undercooked oysters or other shellfish. Cook them before eating them. “Always wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw seafood,” recommends the CDC.
It was on September 1st last year that this organization issued a health notice They warned of the increase in infections caused by this bacteria in the United States due to rising sea temperatures.