A man living in Charlotte County, on the coast of South Florida (USA), died due to the probable consumption of sound water, which is scientifically known as the microscopic brain-eating amoeba Naegleria birderi, confirmed by the State Department. Health.
In a statement, the health authorities indicated that the deceased, whose identity has not been disclosed, suffered from this parasite “perhaps due to the use of paranasal irrigation with sound water”.
Authorities are continuing to investigate the death, which occurred at the end of last February.
“Epidemiological research compared to specific conditions of infection” of this parasitic amoeba. Unfortunately, it has passed, and any information about this case is confidential to protect patient privacy,” said Jae Williams of the Florida Department of Health.
Naegleria osprey lives in the environment without causing harm to humans, but when it proliferates in warm waters, it can cause fatal infections by reaching the brain through the olfactory nerves in the wash.
This amoeba can destroy the brain and usually cause death, so the authors call for caution in fresh and temperate waters in summer.
“In rare circumstances, this amoeba infection of the brain is called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM),” said the Department of Health, which urged residents in that county to follow a series of health instructions, among others, such as exercise. only boiled or sterile water, with the appearance of washing the nose from above.
Between 1962 and 2021, only four of 154 people in the US survived with brain amoeba.
According to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a boy who contracted this parasite died last year after swimming in Lake Mead in Nevada; another child died in Nebraska and a Missouri resident who became infected after showering in Iowa, CBS Miami reported.