WARSAW (AFP) – A six-year-old Afghan boy evicted from Kabul has died after eating poisonous mushrooms in Poland, doctors said Friday (Sept), a day after his five-year-old brother died.
The two boys arrived in Poland with their families on 2 Aug after the Taliban took over and were quarantined at an immigrant facility in the town of Podkova Lesna, near Warsaw.
“The child’s death has been registered,” the Warsaw Children’s Memory Health Institute said in a statement.
The six-year-old underwent a liver transplant earlier this week but his condition has not improved.
The hospital said the children still ate mushrooms the day after coming to unspoken conditions.
A total of five people needed medical help for stomach problems, but they did not initially say they had eaten mushrooms, according to the Department of Immigration in Poland.
The brother and their 1-year-old sister were taken to hospital on August 26 and 2. The sister was later released.
Prosecutors have begun investigating the incident.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Jacob Dudziak denied a press report that the children had eaten mushrooms because the center had not provided them with adequate food.
Immigrants are given “three times a day with food, dairy products, meat, vegetables, fruits and beverages with a variety of ingredients including appropriate caloric value.
“In the wake of this unfortunate accident, the staff of the Center for Foreigners will warn Afghans not to eat products of unknown origin,” Dudziak said.
The news portal OKO.press reported that the children’s father, an accountant, had served in the British Army for several years.
After the Taliban’s victory, the family was removed by the Polish military at the request of Britain.
Poland has evacuated 1,211 people from Afghanistan, many from third countries and international organizations such as the European Union.