CHICAGO (AP) — Five alleged gang members have been charged with the shooting of a Chicago rapper last year, which prosecutors say is part of an ongoing violent effort to protect gang areas on the city’s south side. was, officials announced on Wednesday.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Chicago said in a news release that the O-Block gang killed the Carlton Weekly, also known as the “FBG Ducks”, in a fashionable Gold Coast neighborhood in August 2020, and “violence in Chicago”. claimed responsibility for his acts. and used social media and music to enhance his criminal enterprise.”
Chicago residents Charles Liggins, 30, Kenneth Roberson, 28, Tacarlos Offord, 30, Christopher Thomas, 22, and Marcus Smart, 22, have been charged with murder in aid of racketeering, assault in aid of racketeering, and various weapons charges. At an afternoon court hearing, Lignins, Offer, Thomas, and Smart entered pleas of not guilty, and the judge ordered that they be held pending a custodial hearing. Roberson was not in court and the US Attorney’s Office said his preliminary hearing was not scheduled.
The Weekly was standing outside a store on Oak Street in broad daylight when two men got into two vehicles, opened fire, then got back into the vehicles and left. Weekly was killed and a woman and another man were injured. Police said it appeared to be a “targeted” attack on Weekly or someone else in the vicinity. The Chicago Tribune reported that police determined that 26-year-old Weekly may have been targeted because a few days earlier he made a video in which he denounced rival gang members who were killed.
According to the release, Liggins, Offerrad, Thomas and Smart were arrested Wednesday morning and Roberson was already in custody at the Cook County Jail.
Federal murder counts carry a mandatory minimum sentence of life in prison and a maximum sentence of the death penalty.