NEW YORK ( Associated Press) – A judge has postponed until January the trial of Mexico’s former public security secretary Gennaro García Luna, accused of drug trafficking in New York.
Judge Brian Kogan ruled Monday in an order filed in the electronic system of US federal courts that selection of jurors would begin on January 9, 2023, instead of October, the month set for the start of the process.
García Luna, who was Secretary of Public Security from 2006 to 2012 during the government of then Mexican President Felipe Calderón, is accused of receiving millions of dollars in bribes from the Sinaloa Cartel in exchange for allowing the criminal organization to operate in the United States. Its wide.
He has pleaded not guilty to charges including conspiracy to distribute cocaine, involvement in an ongoing criminal enterprise and lying to authorities. The 53-year-old former Mexican officer is in a New York prison.
Kogan’s decision is in response to a request by García Luna’s attorney, César de Castro, for more time to review all evidence that the New York Eastern District Attorney’s Office is presenting in preparation for the trial.
Prosecutors said last month that they plan to give five electronic devices from one prosecution witness as well as 4,900 recordings from another witness to the lawyer. They also said that they have already submitted 6,100 pages of witnesses’ testimony in the case and are planning to submit another 7,500 pages of witnesses’ statements.
In total, prosecutors in the case have submitted more than a million pages that prosecutors consider to be evidence against García Luna, de Castro said. In addition, many of the recordings submitted, the lawyer maintained, are in Spanish and, therefore, the defense would need an interpreter.
Kogan said in his order on Monday that another judge would select the jury and then preside over the trial.