Tuesday, January 25, 2022

American women, men not committed to single pay structure

Unions for the US women’s and men’s national teams have not committed to agreeing to a single pay structure proposed by the US Soccer Federation, the federation’s chief said in a letter to fans on Tuesday.

The federation’s board declined to move forward with a deal structure agreed last spring by the men’s union with USSF Executive Director Will Wilson, a person familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The man said that structure was agreed upon only after the men threatened to strike ahead of the CONCACAF Nations League final on 6 June.

USSF President Cindy Parlow Coen and Wilson, speaking during a media conference call on Tuesday, declined to go into details of what happened.

Advertisement

“As with any conversation, there’s a lot of work to be done,” Wilson said.

The federation went public with its prize money proposal in September and met jointly in November with the two unions, which are not obligated under federal law to reach equal collective bargaining agreements.

Parlo Con said, “What we’re talking about here is equal prize money, same game bonus, same commercial revenue-sharing agreement. But will there be differences in contracts? Yes, because the teams are different, and they have have different needs.”

The US Women’s National Team Players Association and the US National Soccer Team Players Association declined to comment.

Former national team player Parlo Cone became USSF president in March 2020, when Carlos Cordeiro quit amid a backlash by the group’s lawyers to a filing of legal papers that claimed that women’s national team players had more than their male counterparts. had less physical ability and responsibility.

Advertisement

Cordeiro announced last week that he is running for the job from Parlo Cone at the USSF’s National Council meeting in Atlanta on March 5.

“I think we should continue to look forward, not backward,” Parlo Cone said. “I feel that I have led the organization with integrity and honesty. … We have made a lot of achievements in very challenging times, and so I am hoping that the membership will see what we have done. And Is it done? No, not at all. There’s a lot of work to do, and we have a lot more we want to accomplish. I want to be a president who isn’t constantly battling COVID.”

Players from the women’s team sued the federation in March 2019, claiming that under their collective bargaining agreement the men’s team was not paid more evenly than it received under its agreement.

Advertisement

US District Judge R. Gary Klausner gave the Federation a brief ruling on the wage claim and settled part of the lawsuit by the parties alleging discriminatory working conditions.

The players have appealed against the pay decision, and oral arguments are scheduled for March 7 before the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals.

“This lawsuit isn’t a positive thing for anything that we’re doing, quite honestly, and it has contributed to a lot of negative things happening and being said,” Parlo Cone said. “The litigation clearly makes negotiating the CBA a little more challenging, but we’re still on a positive path.”

Advertisement

FIFA awarded $400 million in prize money to 32 teams at the 2018 Men’s World Cup, including $38 million to champions France. It awarded $30 million to the 24 teams at the 2019 Women’s World Cup, including $4 million to the US after the Americans won their second straight title.

FIFA has raised the total for the 2022 Men’s World Cup to $440 million, and its president, Gianni Infantino, has proposed to FIFA doubling the women’s prize money for the 2023 Women’s World Cup to $60 million, with FIFA has increased the teams to 32.

“Until FIFA resolves this itself, we will have to find a way to equalize the World Cup prize money,” Parlo Cone said.

The women’s collective bargaining agreement expires on March 31 as part of a three-month extension. The men’s agreement expired in December 2018.

Advertisement

Comments: Parlo Cone said the USSF is moving forward with studies for a national training center, which he hopes can take place before the 2026 World Cup. Cordeiro also favors a training center.

,

More Associated Press Soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

,

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here