Search
Saturday, December 10, 2022

Andrew, Harry and Meghan will not be seen on the Jubilee Balcony

LONDON ( Associated Press) – Buckingham Palace on Friday answered one of the biggest remaining questions about Queen Elizabeth II’s platinum jubilee celebrations: saying that Prince Andrew, Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, are on the balcony of the palace. But it will not happen when the emperor greets the public on 2nd June.

The presence of the balcony is a focal point of many royal ceremonies, with the royal family smiling and shaking hands of fans at home and watched by millions of people around the world on television. But the build-up to the celebrations of Elizabeth’s 70 years on the throne looms large over the question of whether Andrew, Harry and Meghan will be in the kind of public spotlight amid a sex scandal and family tensions.

The Queen has now settled the matter, deciding that only working members of the Royal Family accompany her on the balcony to watch the Royal Air Force fly-past after a traditional military review known as Trooping the Colour. Will be included.

“After careful consideration, the Queen has decided that this year’s traditional Trooping the Color balcony attendance will be limited to Her Majesty and members of the Royal Family who are currently performing official public duties on behalf of the Queen on Thursday 2nd June. are,” said the palace.

The decision came amid debate over Andrew’s status after he reached a multimillion-pound settlement with a woman who accused him of sexual abuse. Andrew stepped down from royal duties and was stripped of his honorary military titles amid the scandal caused by the allegations and his relationship with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Nevertheless, the UK media has been flooded with reports that Andrew wanted a public role in the post-trial jubilee.

Harry also kept open the possibility of appearing on the balcony in an interview with NBC last month, though he said “security issues and everything else” could complicate such a decision. Harry and Meghan, also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, moved from frontline royal duties to California in 2020. When they travel to the UK, they are locked in a legal battle with the UK Home Office over security arrangements.

As planning for the jubilee began to take shape, Harry and Meghan announced on Friday that they would be traveling to the UK for the festivities.

A spokesman for the couple said: “Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are excited and honored to attend the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations with their children this June.”

While Andrew and the Sussexes will not join the Queen on the balcony, as members of the Royal Family they will be free to attend other events, a palace source said on condition of anonymity, in line with palace policies.

The Queen’s decision means she will be accompanied by three of her four children and their wives: Prince Andrew and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; Princess Anne and retired Vice Admiral Timothy Lawrence; and Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

Prince William, Harry’s older brother, and his wife, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, will also be on the balcony with their three children, George, Charlotte and Louis. William is second in line to the throne after his father, Charles.

,

Follow all Associated Press stories on British royals at https://apnews.com/hub/queen-elizabeth-ii

Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.

Latest News

Related Stories