Thursday, September 23, 2021

Antelope Valley residents are “disappointed” by the judge’s ruling to release the sexual predator to the community

When some Antelope Valley residents learned that a predator of sexual violence would be released into their community, they called their friend Vladimir Gomez.

Gomez, a resident of the area for 25 years, has previously worked hard to mobilize community petitions against resettlement “Pillowcase Rape” Christopher Hubbert Entered their community in 2014.

“They called me and said,’We have a new battle,'” Gomez told The Epoch Times.

“We are tired of being the’dumping ground’ for offenders before release,” Gomez said.

Gomez’s petition The criminals who opposed the release were signed by more than 3,600 residents.

However, just like the previous struggle in the community, the court finally decided to support the placement of former criminals of sexual violence in Antelope Valley.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge James Bianco agreed to release 66-year-old Calvin Grassmier to his home in the rural community of Sun Village Littlerock by October 1.

Grassmier was convicted of three rapes and two other sexual assaults in the 1970s and 1980s; his last crime was in 1988. According to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s OfficeGrassmier will wear an ankle monitor and will be monitored 24/7 when it is first released.

After residents protested several times in June, Bianco had previously rejected a proposal to release Grassmier in La Crescenta-Montrose. The judge cited uneven cell phone services in the area, which may make it difficult to track Grassmier’s ankle monitor bracelet as a reason for moving his location.

Some Antelope Valley residents gathered in a Hollywood courthouse on September 1st to protest. The judge agreed to place Grassmier in Little Rock at the request of the California State Hospital Department.

Misty Vivirito, a sexual assault survivor and resident of Antelope Valley, wrote a letter to the DA office, and the prosecutor read the letter in court. Vivirito said she was worried about the safety of her four daughters and other children nearby.

Gomez, who is also chairman of the board of directors of Wilson Elementary School, expressed concern about the children in the area.

“Grassmier will live in [Littlerock] High school and nearby [Daisy Gibson Elementary School],” Gomez said. “Some kids will pass by his house on the way to school. ”

For many years, the Antelope Valley region, including Palm Valley, Lancaster, and Little Rock, has been the release site for former criminals with a history of sexual violence. The release of the “pillowcase rapist” in 2014 lasted 18 months until he violated the parole guidelines.according to Megan’s Law website, There are currently 206 sex offenders in Palmdale and 415 in Lancaster.

Gomez said this makes it difficult for rural communities to develop.

“We are a growing community,” Gomez said. “I have been here for the past 25 years, and I have seen a lot of people come here from Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley because the housing prices here are cheaper. But as all these predators of sexual violence come to our community, This situation will never happen again.”

County officials, including supervisor Kathryn Barger, expressed disappointment with the court’s decision.

“Keeping Mr. Grassmier at home…further hurts this already marginalized community,” Bagh wrote in a letter, urging Bianco Reconsider the location of Grassmier. “This settlement is less than two miles away from the four schools. It will make families feel unsafe and uneasy in their homes and communities. I agree with the residents. They hope that Mr. Grassmier will abide by the conditions of release and thank the judge for his decision. , That is, Mr. Grassmier’s residence is required to provide 24/7 security.”

Gomez said that although he was “disappointed” by the judge’s ruling, he urged people to continue fighting.

“arrive [get] For judges, we must contact elected officials in our communities, express our opinions, and vote in local elections,” Gomez said. “The safety of the community should be the first priority. ”

The Epoch Times contacted Judge James Bianco, but he declined to comment.

Read Also:  As Monday Deadline Looms, Democratic House Leadership Remains Optimistic

.

This News Originally From – The Epoch Times

Antelope Valley residents are "disappointed" by the judge's ruling to release the sexual predator to the community
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply