- Preis: Like almost every Apple product introduced in autumn 2022, the Apple Watch 8 has become more expensive. For the entry-level models you have to pay at least 499 euros. The more you configure the model (size, LTE module, stainless steel case), the higher the price.
- Temperature sensor: After a two-year wait, Apple has added another health sensor to its smartwatch. This time it’s about measuring the temperature, but only at night and as part of cycle tracking. The lords of creation get nothing from this, but one can imagine that Apple will be able to unlock temperature measurement for everyone with later software updates. The manufacturer is concerned with the meaningfulness and accuracy of the data, apparently the general temperature measurement does not yet meet Apple standards.
- Housing and colors: It is understandable that the titanium case has to disappear from the range. The footage is now exclusive to the Apple Watch Ultra. For the Series 8, the choice remains aluminum and stainless steel. Apple has also changed the colors slightly: blue and green are disappearing from the range, in exchange there are silver and polar star at the same time. The color variants of the stainless steel watch have not changed.
- Processor: Instead of the S7, the entire Apple Watch family will now get the S8 from 2022. The underlying chip for this system remains the same as in Series 6 and 7. However, the manufacturer probably has the system-on-the- Chip (SoC) adapted to the new components like the better accelerometer and gyroscope.
- 256x Accelerometer: The acceleration sensor in the Series 8 has made a huge leap. This now recognizes an acceleration of up to 256 times and is mainly used for the accident detection of the new watch. A 32x accelerometer is built into the Series 7.
- Accident detection: Thanks to the new gyroscope and improved acceleration sensor, the Apple Watch Series 8 can, in the worst case, detect a car accident and call the emergency services.
- Internationales Roaming: Until the Series 7, it was not possible to use mobile data and services on the watch abroad with your own mobile phone plan. Now you can use the function with the Series 8 as well as with the Ultra and the new SE.
Current best price: Apple Watch Series 8 GPS 41 mm (Black)
The Apple Watch Series 8 differs from the Apple Watch Series 7 in only a few points. A switch would only be worthwhile from the much older models – from an Apple Watch Series 3 (now five years old) or from an Apple Watch Series 4 ( four years old). It currently looks like Apple is not presenting its new watch models for existing customers, but for new customers. The development of smart watches is progressing in small steps, even the basic chip has not changed for two generations. However, Apple not only relies on the technical features of the watch, but also on health and fitness functions, new and better ones are released with each version of watchOS. This means that with a relatively recent Apple Watch (5, 6, 7, SE) you get significantly more by upgrading to watchOS 9 than buying a new Apple Watch Series 8.
Current best price: Apple Watch Series 7 GPS 41 mm (Black)