It is the only vitamin whose main factory is the body, only 10% is obtained from the diet.
Vitamin D is not only important for health bones, deals with a hormones And in this way, acts as a messenger The launch of complex processes in the body.
Vitamin D deficiency affects Health and increases the fixed risk disease, It is the most frequently occurring nutritional deficiency in our population. More than 60% of Spanish women between the ages of 45 and 68 do not reach adequate levels. control level through analytics And paying attention to certain symptoms is important to detect and correct its deficiency in time.
health consequences of vitamin d deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of suffering from some disease,
- dementia and Alzheimer’s,
- Kidney diseases.
- high level of stress Because it interferes with its regulation.
- more infections Because it activates the immune system.
Signs That You May Be Vitamin D Deficient
With blood tests, your doctor will be able to tell you if you truly have a deficiency in this important vitamin, but these signs serve as a warning.
- low spirits Serotonin, a brain neurotransmitter linked to mood, increases with exposure to the sun. Some studies link a lack of sun exposure to a greater likelihood of suffering from depression.
- overweight. Because it is fat soluble, vitamin D is more easily stored in fatty tissue. In obese people this prevents it from being processed properly.
- Fatigue and bone pain. Dr. Michael F. Holick, a researcher at Boston University (USA), is sure that fatigue and bone pain can hide the deficiency of this vitamin.
- Sweating of the head The same doctors warn that excessive head sweating is one of the earliest and most classic symptoms of this deficiency.
- dark skin, Darker skin requires 10 times more sun exposure to produce the same amount of vitamin D as a person with fairer skin, so they may be at higher risk of deficiency.
why do we lack vitamin d
Food is the main source of all vitamins except vitamin D, of which only 10% is obtained from the diet, It is the only vitamin that The main factory is the agency itself, Well 90% is made by our body through a complex process that begins in the skin incidence of sunlight,
However, although we live in a nice and sunny country, 50% of Spaniards suffer from a deficiency of this vitamin.
The reason scarcity is so pervasive is because we’ve gotten used to it. stay indoors most daysBecause of working long hours in offices, offices, shops … and because we look for environments with ideal temperatures, cool in the summer and warm in the cold months.
Too, as we grow older (from about the age of 50), the skin loses its ability to make vitamin DAnd the kidneys, which convert it to use, work with less efficiency.
Another reason for its lack We apply cream to protect ourselves from the sun Which inhibit the synthesis of this vitamin. The European Commission recommends that The sun shines on our skin for at least 15 minutes a day (Highlighting the face and hands or arms is sufficient).
during the winter if you can go for a walk in the morning or afternoon Or take advantage of breaks at work to go outside and get some sunshine. Get out in nature on the weekend And up your intake of this important vitamin. In HeatYou can have it without sun cream first or last hour of the day for 30 minutes.
Some studies suggest that exposure to certain toxins may act as endocrine disruptor And interfere with the functions of this vitahormone.