Friday, June 9, 2023

Around 60% of renewable energy investment projects are blocked

As in any course, the result takes the fear. However, there are some sectors that have a greater power of exposure.

Due to social, environmental or political conflicts, there are several renewable energy projects in Colombia that are canceled, blocked or postponed. The most recent announcement was made by the company Enel, which reported that it has definitively suspended the construction of the Windpeshi wind project in La Guajira, after all instances have been exhausted to solve the problems with the community in the area.

“This decision, which is not only harmful to us as a company, but as citizens who are committed to the transition of energy with great interest and duty, was made after detailed analyzes and studies, which concluded that it could not be done by the Company. to continue with the construction,” said Eugenio Calderón, manager of Enel Green Power in Colombia and Central America at the time of the announcement.

According to the most recent report from Ser Colombia, in the country there are around 80 non-conventional renewable energy projects that have a time of entry into operation between 2023 and 2024, which is a challenge. From this total number of projects developed, 78 correspond to solar energy (85% of the new capacity), and two projects will be wind power (15% of the total capacity).

But how do they do it? The report says that 28 of the 80 projects analyzed, that is 35%, progressed without a problem to achieve their start on the scheduled date; 14 will enter 2023 (189 MW) and another 14 in 2024 (176 MW). This has a total generation capacity of 365 MW. While the rest, which were the majority (65%), are proceeding, many of them have significant delays in their implementation, Ser Colombia emphasized.

As for the reasons behind the 65% that are not implemented, the report explains them mainly due to the fact that “half of the projects pending start-up have an environmental process: 40% before the Regional Autonomous Corporations and 10% before ANLA Another 19 projects are waiting for the response of different procedures with Upme , usually scheduled for 2023.

In Corporations, blocking factors are due to the approval of limited licenses or modifications to the same, for forest exploitation permits and the approval of the compensation plan.

Impediments at Upme are mainly due to changing demands at the start of the season. It is relevant that without this license projects may lose their connection and, without access to the transmission network, not trade energy; The project is unfeasible, explains the report.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here