Friday, September 17, 2021

As the fire threat eases, South Lake Tahoe residents can return

South Lake Tahoe, California. -As rescuers have made progress in responding to large-scale wildfires, tens of thousands of people forced to flee South Lake Tahoe may begin to return home after the evacuation order was downgraded to a warning on Sunday afternoon.

The order that caused 22,000 people inside and outside the resort to flee last week has been reduced to a warning because the fire actually stopped just a few miles from the forested area that straddles the California-Nevada border.

According to KCRA-TV, the California Highway Patrol started to demolish roadblocks on Interstate 50 in Stateline, Nevada. Members of the National Guard who helped put out the fire have left the area.

The threat of the Kaldor fire has not completely disappeared, but the relegation to warning means those who wish to return to the smoky ghost town instead of the prosperous Labor Day holiday location.

South Lake Tahoe Fire Chief Clive Savacool said at the evening briefing: “So far, there have been no crazy car sprints.” “We are very happy to see people slowly coming in. Because this city really needs time to prepare.”

Savacool said that officials hope that the emergency room of the local hospital will be open within 24 hours, and that paramedics are being equipped with fire trucks for emergency medical care.

However, he said that people with health problems may consider staying away due to the smoke in the air.

Savacool said that those returning should have enough medicine and groceries and a full tank to be self-sufficient.

Law enforcement is still patrolling, so “your home is still safe,” Savakul said.

However, the authorities also warned that in the absence of humans, bears have already entered the city, spreading rubbish that must be picked up.

“The delicate balance between humans and bears has been broken.” Anyone who thinks bears might enter their home should call law enforcement, the Eldorado County Sheriff. Simon Brown said.

Although Douglas County authorities urged residents to stay vigilant, saying that the fire might still threaten homes, the mandatory evacuation order on the Nevada side of the state line was cancelled on Saturday.

According to data from the California Fire Department, wind-driven fires burn up to 1,000 acres per hour in the northern Sierra Nevada Mountains. They were mainly controlled overnight within the current control line, and 43% are now controlled.

Most of the west and south sides of the fire have been surrounded, but some areas are still restricted areas.

Tim Ernst, head of fire operations, stated that there was no house damage on the east side of the fire closest to the lake, and the staff managed to carve more lines of fire along the edge of a hot finger that did not move eastward. Morning briefing.

Read Also:  West Out, Biden Points to Wildfires to Push $3.5 Trillion Rebuild

Ernst said that although there were some hot spots in the timber and fires of nearly 340 square miles (880 square kilometers) to the west and southeast, “everything is well maintained.”

In recent days, the wind that pushes the flames through dry trees, grass and granite outcrops has weakened, and firefighters have been able to do more than bulldoze, burn, or cut the line of fire.

According to the California Fire Department, the fire that began on August 14 has destroyed more than 700 houses, razed most of the small villages in the Grizzly Apartments, and injured 9 firefighters and civilians.

In the past two months, dozens of wildfires have occurred in California and most of the western United States, as this drought-affected area has been sultry in hot and dry weather, and high winds have ignited flames in extremely dry vegetation.

Read Also:  New legal strategy serves both sides of abortion battle

In California, nearly 14,500 firefighters are fighting 13 fires. Cal Fire said that since the beginning of this year, more than 7,000 wildfires have consumed 3,000 square miles (nearly 8,000 square kilometers).

There are no specific reports of deaths caused by the fire. However, officials said that the authorities said two people assigned to fire-related duties died of illness this week.

Marcus Pacheco, an assistant operator of Larsen National Forest Fire Truck with 30 years of experience, passed away on Thursday. Authorities said he was assigned to the Dixie Fire, which was burning north of the Cardo Fire.

Other details were not immediately announced.

The Dixie Fire started in the northern Sierra Nevada in mid-July and was the second largest wildfire in the history of the state. According to the California Fire Department, it has burned nearly 1,400 square miles (3,625 square kilometers) in five counties and three national parks and forests.

Authorities say a retired firefighter who was hired to help extinguish the fire in France died of complications from COVID-19.

He was identified as Alan Johnson.

“Our team, firefighting community, and the world lost a good friend, mentor, teacher, and comrade last night,” the California Interagency Incident Management Team14 posted on Facebook last Wednesday.

The French fire in Kern County was 52% controlled after burning about 41 square miles (106 square kilometers).

The fire problem has closed all national forests in the state.

In recent years, as climate change has made the western region warmer and drier in the past 30 years, California has experienced larger and more deadly wildfires. Scientists say that the weather will continue to become more extreme and wildfires will become more frequent, more destructive and unpredictable.

As the fire threat eases, South Lake Tahoe residents can return
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply