Monday, October 3, 2022

Astroworld $ 750 million lawsuit filed on behalf of 125 victims

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of 125 victims of the Astroworld massacre in Houston, seeks $ 750 million in damages from Travis Scott, Drake, Apple, Live Nation and others.

Houston attorney Tony Buzby filed a lawsuit Monday on behalf of clients, including the family of 21-year-old Axel Acosta, one of 10 people who died at Scott’s annual hip-hop festival, which injured hundreds of people.

The lawsuit features Scott and Drake (who acted as a guest artist) as defendants, as well as promoters of Live Nation and ScoreMore Shows; security firms Contemporary Services Corp., Apex Security and Valle Security Texas; and ParaDocs, the firm that contracted, among other things, to provide medical services at the festival. The lawsuit also mentions Apple, which broadcast the concert live on its Apple Music service; Scott’s record label Epic and his own label Cactus Jack; and Harris County Sports & Convention Corp., which operates the NRG fleet.

“When Axel collapsed, he was trampled by those who fought to prevent them from being crushed,” the lawsuit says. “While he lay under the crowd of people, dying, the music played and flowed – for almost forty minutes.”

A man with a microphone points out during a speech.

Travis Scott performs at the Astroworld Festival on November 5, 2021 in Houston.

(Amy Harris / Invision / Associated Press) #

Buzby’s lawsuit alleges that by evening “large groups, presumably consisting of” sick ” [Scott fans] outnumbered the requested number of policemen and are already rushing to the gates and dismantling the barricades. The police are starting to discuss the possibility of closing sites and entrances to try to control access to the event. ”

By 20.00 HPD [Houston Police Department] asks for buses to transport detainees because of the large number of disobedient people. Their detention requires the diversion of resources from other riot containment measures. It is clear that the security personnel and the police presence were overwhelmed. “

“HFD [Houston Fire Department] The staff at the gate of the NRG announced the mass casualties at 21:38, ”the lawsuit says. “Despite this statement, Defendant Webster [Jacques Bermon Webster II, who’s known professionally as Travis Scott] continued the show for another forty minutes, even introducing and speaking with Defendant Graham. [Drake]… These defendants continued to speak despite reports of lifeless bodies passing through the crowd in front of the stage. “

A spokesman for Scott told The Times in a statement late last week that “Travis Scott and his team are actively exploring ways to reach every family affected by the tragedy through appropriate connections. He is distraught about this situation and desperately wants to express his condolences and help them as soon as possible, but he also wants to respect the wishes of each family on how they would like to be connected. “

Representatives from Epic Records and Apple did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the lawsuit. Live Nation said in a statement: “We continue to support and assist local authorities in their ongoing investigation so that both the fans who attended and their families can get the answers they want and deserve and we will address all legal issues in due course … … “

Buzby writes in a suit: “When [Drake] accepted [Scott’s] an invitation to speak at Astroworld 2021, [Drake] was well aware of the damage [Scott] has called on his shows in the past. [Drake] was also well aware of the expected size and instability of the crowd, as well as the likelihood of incitement. “

The lawsuit mentions several of Scott’s previous incidents of incitement to dangerous behavior at concerts, including two previous misconduct for incidents in 2015 and 2017. A criminal investigation into the causes of the tragedy is also underway.

“Axel loved rap, and he loved the line-up that was going to play at Astroworld, but this love and this feeling were not mutual,” – said Buzby at a press conference on November 8 in Houston. “Of course, neither Travis Scott nor his curators, entourage, managers, agents, hangers-on, promoters, organizers or sponsors cared enough about Axel to make even the smallest effort to keep him and the rest of the concert safe.”

Meanwhile, dozens of lawsuits have been filed on behalf of injured and deceased visitors to Astroworld concerts.

Lawyer Ben Crump announced legal action on behalf of the family of Ezra Blount, a 9-year-old boy who became the 10th victim of injuries sustained at the festival. “The Blount family is today mourning the unfathomable loss of their precious little son,” Crump said in a statement announcing the lawsuit. “It was not supposed to be the result of their son being at the concert, but it was supposed to be a joyous celebration.”

The family of the late Manuel Sousa argued in their own lawsuit against Scott, Live Nation and others that “unfortunately, due to the motivation of the accused to profit from the health and safety of concertgoers and their encouragement of violence, at least Eight people were killed and scores of others were injured on a night that should have been fun. “

Maria D. Peña, mother of the victim Rudy Peña, also argued in the lawsuit that “Defendants are responsible for Rudy Peña’s injuries and death. They knew or should have known that [conditions] were unsafe and presented an unreasonable risk of harm to viewers. Despite the dangers, they allowed the show to go on. “

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -