The Medellín city council is still waiting for explanations regarding the management of the funds of the festival fund of the mayoralty of Daniel Quintero, a scandal that came to light last month involving high spending in luxury restaurants. It turns out that the private secretary, Juan David Duque, was summoned to a random commission last Monday to be held accountable.
Duque was not present and therefore the Medellín city councilor Alfredo Ramos Maya, chairman of the city council’s transparency commission, decided to postpone seven appointments until October 23 to allow Quintero’s secretary to appear. “As expected, Private Secretary Juan David Duque did not participate in the random commission where we will ask for details on the fixed costs of the fund,” the company said.
“If you want to hide, you should know once and for all that you are scheduled for September 20th, 25th and 27th and October 2nd, 4th, 9th and 23rd,” said the city councilor Democratic Center.
In addition, according to the company, Minister Duque has also not complied with the submission of each fixed appropriations bill to the Medellín Council for political control, even though the request had already been made since August 23.
“We hope that you will also send us the invoices for the fixed deposits that we have requested since August 23 last year and to which you did not want to respond,” said Ramos Maya.
This situation arises with this fund, which is limited to up to 23 million pesos and can be increased if necessary. Its purpose, according to the law, is to regulate “unforeseen”, “urgent” and “necessary” expenses of the Medellín Mayor’s Office.
However, during Daniel Quintero’s administration, according to information released to the public, these resources were used to spend them in restaurants, florists, liquor stores, supermarkets and health food stores, among others.