As the 20th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attack approached, President Joe Biden signed an executive order directing the release of certain documents related to the incident.
The executive order directs the Department of Justice (DOJ) and other agencies to begin reviewing documents, and requires Attorney General Merrick Garland to release declassified information within the next few months.
“We must never forget the enduring suffering of the families and loved ones of the 2,977 innocent people who lost their lives in the worst terrorist attack on the United States in our history. For them, this is not only a national and international tragedy,” Biden said. Said in a statement.
He added: “In the past 20 years, children have grown up without parents, and parents have suffered without children. Husbands and wives have to find a way forward without a partner. Brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts, relatives and friends. Celebrating 20 years of birthdays, family gatherings and milestones, looking at an empty chair at home, there is a hole in my heart.”
A few weeks ago, many families and survivors of the 9/11 attacks issued a statement urging Biden not to participate in any of their commemorations unless the White House released documents regarding Saudi Arabia’s alleged involvement in the attack.
The 9/11 family in question issued a statement praising Biden’s actions on Friday.
“We are very pleased to see the President forcing the release of more evidence about Saudi Arabia in connection with the 9/11 attacks,” Tristrada said on Friday that his husband was killed in the attack.
Strada added, however, that “a lot of work remains” to be done “to correct the huge damage caused by the 20-year secrecy measures.”
It is not clear where Biden will commemorate the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
Biden is facing unprecedented criticism from members of the two parties, the families of fallen soldiers and former US soldiers for how his government handled the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, which has caused confusion and hasty evacuation of tens of thousands of people. It is believed that hundreds of Americans still remain in the country behind the Taliban.
Earlier this week, Biden adopted a defensive tone in his speech announcing the official end of the US-led conflict in Afghanistan, and once again accused the Afghan government of the downfall. He also targeted the previous government’s agreement with the Taliban, although former Trump administration officials stated that their agreement did not allow unconditional withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan. Will allow Some U.S. troops stayed and set a different timetable.
After the administration of former President Donald Trump and the Taliban reached an agreement on a military withdrawal including the May 1 deadline, Biden postponed the date to August 31, ostensibly with the anniversary of the September 11 attack. Coincide.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times