April 9, 2022
Vegetarian and Sustainability App Billions has released “Understanding the American Plant-Based Consumer”. , An in-depth report detailing American consumer attitudes and behavior toward plant-based foods.
In the major takeaway, the Arab Note app has seen a significant increase in the number of non-vegetarian US users showing interest in plant-based foods. These members make up 51% of its US user database.
By analyzing nearly 1.4 million reviews on its digital platform over three years, Arab says it has uncovered five trends happening within the industry:
- Interest in the plant-based movement is strongest in California, New York, and Florida. Female millennials and Gen Zs, who make up 65% of American members of the Arab world, are leading the enthusiasm for plant-based lifestyles.
- Health remains the biggest motivator for most alternative meat buyers, with 47% choosing it as their top priority, while 33% indicated ethical concerns.
- Among American youth, the reductionist lifestyle, whereby individuals actively reduce meat consumption, is very popular and is expected to be a transition point for vegetarianism in the coming years.
- The rise in popularity of plant-based snacking presents a significant opportunity for the food industry. The snacking segment is currently valued at $32 billion and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.7%.
- The sustainable skin care category, especially sun care products, grew by about 35%.
a rising wave
The report also points to a January 2022 survey by Oklahoma State University that found that nearly 10% of Americans under the age of 18 consider themselves vegetarian or vegan. Overall, the report finds that plant-based businesses must innovate products and marketing to address consumers’ overlapping concerns on health, the environment, and ethics.
“The US is one of our key markets, making up 22% of our global community. It is exciting for us to share insights into the priorities of our American community,” says Vikas Garg, founder and CEO of Abilion.
he adds, “We’re sharing insights to help drive consumer adoption, consumer advocacy, and the choice of vegan options by people and businesses around the world. Above all, the work we do here has a direct positive impact on the environment and animals. I see billions as catalysts for meaningful and deliberate change for the future.”