MANCHESTER, England – Manchester United winger Antony is available again after he asked to leave to deal with domestic violence allegations, the English team said Friday.
The Brazilian was dropped from his team for the World Cup qualifying matches against Bolivia and Peru earlier this month, after details of alleged acts of violence against an ex-girlfriend emerged in the media.
Antony denied the accusations and the team sent him on leave so that he could defend himself.
The player is now back in the United Kingdom and the team said it is time for him to get back on the field.
“Since the allegations emerged in June, Antony has cooperated with police inquiries in Brazil and the United Kingdom and continues to cooperate,” the Premier’s team said. “As Antony’s boss, Manchester United has decided that he will return to training at Carrington and be available for call-up, while police investigations continue. “The matter may be subject to review if there are new developments in the case.”
Antony’s ex-girlfriend reported him to the police on May 20 for alleged acts of domestic violence, allegations he denied in June and again earlier this month.
“I want to repeat my innocence of the things I am accused of, and I will fully cooperate with the police to help them reach the truth,” he said this month.
Antony was not arrested or charged, and voluntarily appeared for an interview on Thursday with Manchester Police.
“As a team, we condemn any act of violence and ill-treatment,” United said. “We recognize the importance of protecting everyone involved in this situation, and we know the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”