LOS ANGELES ( Associated Press) – Rules are rules. Animal control officials in Southern California have given a girl permission to keep a unicorn at home, as long as she follows strict guidelines.
This week the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control shared a letter it received from a girl named Madeline.
The girl wrote: “Dear Los Angeles County, I would like your approval to have a unicorn in my backyard if I can find one. Please send me a letter in response.
Agency director Marcia Maeda responded with a letter containing a pre-approved unicorn license, a heart-shaped license tag, and a stuffed unicorn for Madeline to keep until she could find a real one. Photos of Madeline’s license and letter were posted on the agency’s social media.
The license includes five conditions:
1. Unicorns must be cared for in accordance with all animal care regulations set forth in Title 10 of the Los Angeles County Code.
2. Unicorns must have regular access to sunlight, moonlight and rainbows.
3. Unicorns should get one of their favorite treats—watermelon—at least once a week.
4. The horn of the unicorn must be maintained for good health. This requires polishing with a soft cloth at least once a month.
5. Any glitter or glitter used on the unicorn must be non-toxic and biodegradable to ensure the good health of the unicorn.
Lastly, Maeda praised Madeline for being a responsible pet owner.