The US lottery has seen some shocking big prizes in 2023, including a record-setting prize of $1.602 billion that went to a Florida resident in August, but can it be claimed? in the Golden State another billion dollar lottery prize?
According to the California Lottery, this is the first time in Powerball history that two consecutive jackpot runs have produced billion-dollar jackpots.
The current Powerball is up to $1.2 billion after Monday’s roll saw two people in the eastern United States match five numbers and power play for a $2 million prize, but there was no grand prize winner.
These Californians will become millionaires in 2023 after winning the lottery If a lottery ticket goes unclaimed, what happens to the money?
This current Powerball has been building since July 20, after a Los Angeles resident won the $1.08 billion grand prize that started rolling on April 22.
The winning numbers for the July drawing are 7, 10, 11, 13, 24 and the Powerball 24.
According to Powerball.com, the odds of winning the grand prize are 1 in 292,201,338.
With the current grand prize worth $1.2 billion the prize money will be $551.7 million.
Man turns $500 to $1 million with Scratchers from Sacramento liquor store
Monday’s winning numbers were 12, 26, 27, 43, 47 and the Powerball 5.
The biggest lottery prizes in the United States are:
- $2.04 billion (Powerball): Nov. 7, 2022; California
- $1.602 billion (Mega Millions): August 15, 2023; Florida
- $1.586 billion (Powerball): January 13, 2016; California, Florida, Tennessee
- $1.537 billion (Mega Millions): October 23, 2018; South Carolina
- $1.348 billion (Mega Millions): January 13, 2023; Maine
- $1.337 billion (Mega Millions): July 29, 2022; Illinois
- $1.20 billion (Est. Powerball): Oct. 4, 2023
- $1.08 billion (Powerball): July 19, 2023; California
- $1.05 billion (Mega Millions): Jan. 22, 2021; Michigan
- $768.4 million (Powerball): March 27, 2019; Wisconsin
As of Tuesday, California was the only state with three billion dollar winners, but that could all change after Wednesday’s drawing.
The October 4 drawing will take place at 7:59 pm and tickets can be purchased for $2 from any participating Powerball location.
If a winner is not drawn on Wednesday the next drawing will take place at 7:59pm on Saturday.