Saturday, December 9, 2023

Can I change my status from tourist to immigrant when traveling to the US?

Changing status from tourist to immigrant while traveling to the United States is an option that many are considering Look for new opportunities. However, it is a process that must be carried out in accordance with the legal procedures and requirements established by the immigration authorities. Below we provide you with the most important information on this topic.

This is a process that requires certain requirements to be met and appropriate documentation to be submitted. If you are considering this option, it is advisable to contact an immigration attorney Use the resources provided by USCIS for guidance and to ensure you are following the correct steps.

Read Also:  World Cotton Day is celebrated, with production in 13 provinces of Argentina

What requirements do I have to meet to change my status?

To change your status from tourist to immigration status, you must first determine whether you are eligible to do so. This usually means that you must meet the specific requirements of the visa type you want to switch to. This information is important to prepare for your next trip to the USA.

In general, you can request a change in your nonimmigrant status while remaining in the United States if:

  • He was legally admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant
  • Your nonimmigrant status remains valid
  • You have not violated the terms of your status and
  • You have not committed a crime or taken any other action that would make you ineligible to change your status.
Read Also:  A delegation from the United States Congress arrived in Taiwan this Sunday. New provocation to China after Nancy Pelosi's visit

Do not assume that your applied status has been approved until you receive an approval notification from USCIS. Before USCIS approves your application, you must do the following:

  • Apply to and gain admission to a US Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified school
  • Obtain an initial Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility of Nonimmigrant Student Status, from the SEVP certified school. The designated school official (DSO) must report the change in status in the Reason for Issue section of Form I-20.
  • Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
  • File Form I-539 (Application for Extension/Change of Nonimmigrant Status) with USCIS.
  • Not all nonimmigrant classifications can be converted to student status.
Read Also:  11 candidates in weightlifting polls amid Olympic crisis

While your change of status application is being processed, it is important that you continue to comply with the conditions of your tourist status. Do not travel outside the United States until you have been approved for a change of status because you may encounter difficulties returning.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Desk
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news