WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO super middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez returns to his hometown of Guadalajara against London and WBO challenger John Ryder on May 6 at the Posón Stadium.
The event is organized by the British company Matchroom in collaboration with Ocesa and the Government of Jalisco, and will be broadcast live on DAZN Sports Arena worldwide, and on TV Azteca for Mexico. The event is expected to draw close to 40,000 spectators, meaning the Estadio Posoniense, home of Mexico’s Chivas del Guadalajara soccer team, will be filled with lights for the boxing performance.
Eddie Hearn, the promoter and director of Matchroom, said about the expectation of the PPV purchase of this event in Guadalajara: “Anyone “Canelo” always has an expectation in PPVs, there are never bad numbers, he is one of the biggest stars in the sport. We are talking about this PPV being able to sell millions, which They will undoubtedly be historic, it will be a magnificent night and the expectation in Guadalajara and the favor of his people, his family, raises even more hope.
– We know that there were other offers for this battle, but why Guadalajara?
– We had proposals from Los Angeles, Las Vegas, the United Kingdom, very good offers, but this factor of money no longer entered, it is something that “Canelo” wanted to do for a long time and the matter was decided.
– As a supporter, where do you want to produce more in arenas or stadiums?
– Definitely in the stadiums, we brought the Alamodome, the AT&T Stadium Dallas Cowboys, the Hard Rock in Miami, and the inside of these venues full of views and great production gives a show, and it will be great in Guadalajara. event, that is certain.
– Do you think today is the return to the boxing show?
– Yes, the sport of boxing is very big, now it is very big, so of course, that everyone had their laugh and variety, but now it is at the top of the audience.
The president of the World Boxing Council, Mauricio Sulaimán, “Canelo”-Ryder is something big: “This event, it is an event, not only a fight, it is something big. We are waiting for many years of boxing. to return to Mexico on a big trip and what better than the stadium of these brands and it is something we should all celebrate.
“Is this fight a good time or a slow one?”
– At a very good moment, “Canelo” reached the top of the world as the greatest middleweight champion. He is the best boxer in the world right now and there is something special for all of us in boxing.
– Do you think it will be a time of celebration to repeat this in the country?
– Yes, at this time, at the time of “Canelo”, Mexico has always had good talents, “Canelo” is cooked apart, but they will always be representative. This will help a lot in the national boxing, the fact that this event is held will open the opportunity for many boxers in the country.
– Is the WBC belt still coveted?
– It is the dream of every boxer to have a green and gold belt, this commits us and motivates us to continue the present. The belt of Chávez, Duran, “Sugar” Ray Leonard, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, “Canelo” is the championship of the greats.
That’s where I’m peeking.