EF Education – Easypost exhibition on the fifth stage of the Tour of Langkawi with the final climb to the very difficult Genting Highlands. Simon Carr took the win alone while his teammate, Ecuadorian Alexander Cepeda, achieved second place for an exhibition in the pink team, on a day where Pablo Castrillo was third and Joan Bou was fourth.
The stage began with many fights for the breakaway of the Spanish Carlos Canal (Euskaltel-Euskadi) as one of the protagonists although after kilometer 30 the breakaway of the day was formed with eight cyclists with the presence of Manuele Tarozzi, Simon Pellaud , Gijs Van Hoecke, Alessandro Iacchi, Maris Bogdanovis, Joshua Pascual, Amirul Mazuki and the Spaniard from Euskaltel-Euskadi Xabier Isasa, who has up to 4 minutes margin on the peloton.
An advantage that the work of EF Education Easypost at the head of the peloton caused it to fall slowly and that ended up finding Pellaud as the last survivor to escape before the climb to Genting Highlands, with 8.8 kilometers of 8.6%
A climb where the choice was made quickly on the first ramps with a group of 25 cyclists and with a hard attack from Jefferson Alexander Cepeda that only Simon Carr could follow. A Carr who , four kilometers from the finish, released his teammate and left Alone achieved another prestigious victory in his record and placed himself as the new leader of the general classification while Cepeda was second at the finish line , 39 seconds behind Carr to achieve the big double for EF Education First.
Spanish cyclists also completed a great performance in the queen stage of the Tour of Langkawi, as Pablo Castrillo, from Kern Pharma, finished in third position, 48 seconds behind Carr, while Joan Bou , from Euskaltel-Euskadi, finished fourth, seven seconds. for Castrillo, and Jokin Murguialday (Caja Rural – Seguros RGA) and Jon Agirre (Kern Pharma) came eighth and ninth at the finish line, 1:26 behind the stage winner’s time.
Classification of the fifth stage of Tourg in Langkawi
1. Simon Carr (GBR/EF Education – Easypost) 3:24:06
2. Jefferson Alexander Cepeda (ECU/EF Education – Easypost) at 0:39
3. Paul Castrillo (ESP/Kern Pharma) 0:48
4. Joan Bou (ESP/Euskaltel-Euskadi) and 0:55
5. Vadim Pronskiy (KAZ/Astana Qazaqstan) and 0:59
8. Jokin Murguialday (ESP/Caja Rural – Seguros RGA) in 1:26
9. Jon Aguirre (ESP/Kern Pharma) mt
General classification of the Tour of Langkawi after the fifth stage
1. Simon Carr (GBR/EF Education – Easypost) 19:25:10
2. Jefferson Alexander Cepeda (ECU/EF Education – Easypost) at 0:49
3. Paul Castrillo (ESP/Kern Pharma) 0:58
4. Joan Bou (ESP/Euskaltel-Euskadi) and 1:07
5. Vadim Pronskiy (KAZ/Astana Qazaqstan) and 1:15
8. Jon Aguirre (ESP/Kern Pharma) at 1:39
9. Jokin Murguialday (ESP/Caja Rural – Seguros RGA) at 1:40