Search
November 19, 2021

China said ‘don’t know’ on the issue of tennis player Peng Shuai

BEIJING (AP) – China’s foreign ministry said on Friday it was not aware of the controversy surrounding tennis professional Peng Shuai, who went missing after accusing a former top official of sexual assault.

Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters that the matter was “not a diplomatic question and I am not aware of the situation.”

The ministry has consistently denied knowledge of the issue since it broke out as a major global story earlier this week.

Peng, 35, is a former top-ranked player in women’s doubles, having won titles at Wimbledon in 2013 and the French Open in 2014. He also participated in three Olympics, making his disappearance even more prominent, which was hosted by Beijing. Winter sports starting 4th February

Peng wrote in a lengthy social media post on November 2 that she was forced to have sex three years earlier despite repeated refusals with Zhang Gaoli, a former deputy prime minister and ruling Communist Party leader. Was a member of the Almighty Politburo Standing Committee.

The post was quickly removed from her verified account on Weibo, a major Chinese social media platform, but screenshots of the explosive allegation quickly spread across China’s Internet.

Women’s Tennis Association president and CEO Steve Simon questioned the authenticity of what Chinese state media said was an email to her in which Peng said she was safe and the allegation of assault was untrue. This was posted on Thursday by CGTN, the international arm of Chinese state broadcaster CCTV.

Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.

LATEST NEWS

Related Stories