A major Taliban spokesman said a bomb exploded on Sunday at a mosque in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing several “civilians”.
In a series of tweets on Sunday, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the bomb targeted the entrance to the Idgah mosque.
“A bomb blast shook civilians near the entrance of the Idgah mosque in Kabul this afternoon, killing several civilians.” he has written.
Taliban spokesman Bilal Karimi told the Associated Press that Taliban fighters were not harmed in the attack. Those killed in the attack were civilians standing outside the gate of the mosque. He did not give any figures on the number of people killed and said that the investigation was on.
An Italian-funded emergency hospital in Kabul tweeted that four people were injured in the blast.
No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing. However, following the Taliban’s capture of Afghanistan in August, reports have emerged that several members of the ISIS terrorist group were released from prisons across the country, while ISIS claimed responsibility for a bomb attack that took place in August. In the end 13 US service members were killed amidst a chaos. People were evacuated at Kabul’s main airport.
A shopkeeper who was near the site of the attack, who gave his name only as Abdullah, told AFP news agency: “I heard an explosion near the Eid Gah mosque, followed by firing.”
Sunday’s attack was the first that ISIS has targeted a US evacuation effort, which also killed more than 100 civilians.
On Friday, October 1, Taliban fighters raided an ISIS hideout north of Kabul in Parwan province. The raid came after four Taliban fighters were injured in a roadside bombing in the area.
The release of ISIS members has raised questions about whether a conflict between it and the Taliban, which many believe to be a terrorist organization, could flare up in the country. ISIS has been treating the Taliban as an enemy for years.
Senior White House officials said last week that about 100 US citizens and permanent residents were still stranded in Afghanistan.
“The biggest obstacle to the departure of our citizens and others from Afghanistan remains the uncertainty of the Taliban, who is allowed to go,” a State Department official said in a statement. “The other major obstacle is the absence of regular commercial air service to enable those who wish to depart to do so in a predictable manner.”
It came as Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mark Milley faced questioning from senators upon their return.
“My verdict is that going beyond the end of August will do a great deal of damage to our people and our mission,” Austin told a congressional panel last week.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times