Wednesday, May 18, 2022

CNN gave CNN+ ‘gift boxes’ after firing employees: report

According to a report, former CNN+ employees, who were fired last month following the abrupt shutdown of the month-long streaming service, received gift boxes the following week that were filled with CNN+ swag.

CNN’s new parent company, Warner Bros. Discovery, “accidentally” gave employees a “gut punch” because gifts were “accidentally” sent to employees fired a week ago, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The boxes included branded gear from pens to food containers, as well as items such as popcorn makers and headphones, with the publication reporting that some of the boxes included welcome notes.

“This is an incredible time to be a part of CNN,” one note said. “Build relationships and take the time to connect with colleagues and learn so you can make the most of your time here.”

CNN told the Journal that the gifts were sent by accident, but a gesture of bad timing rubbed salt into an already raw wound.

Read Also:  California Now Limits Parole To Only Those On Mechanical Ventilation | AP News
CNN’s expensive streaming service CNN+ was shut down by new owners a month later.
Getty Images

Roughly 400 employees were recruited to work for CNN’s new streaming service, a startup that cost $300 million to get off the ground before being shut down by new owners within a month of its launch. .

After AT&T spun off WarnerMedia in a $43 billion merger with Discovery to form Warner Bros. was looking for

According to the report, CEO David Zaslav decided to kill CNN+ after learning the $5.99-a-month service signed up about 150,000 customers in its first few weeks and could be viewed by between 5,000 and 10,000 people at any given time. Had been.

David Zaslav
New Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav, who led Discovery, took a look at CNN+’s numbers and decided to shut down the service.
Reuters

The numbers were a bad sign, even though CNN employees argued that CNN+ was on track to hit its internal goals of 2 million US subscribers in the first year, and the plug was pulled too soon.

Discovery and WarnerMedia completed their merger on Friday, April 8, and on April 14, Zaslav and top executives decided to liquidate CNN+, the Journal reported. Two days later, CNN’s new head Chris Licht addressed nearly 400 employees at the network’s New York City offices to break the news of the streaming service’s shutdown.

Read Also:  French premier says vaccine pass will take effect from Monday
Chris Lichto
CNN’s new boss Chris Licht delivered the bad news of CNN+’s closure to nearly 400 employees.
wireimage

“It’s a typical sh-tie situation,” Licht said at the time.

The new exec was brought in to replace Jeff Zucker, who wanted to launch CNN+ in late March. Zucker never had the opportunity to get his final product off the ground as he resigned in early February after his years-long relationship with chief marketing officer Allison Golst went public.

    A view of signage on display during the CNN+ launch event at Peak NYC Hudson Yards
Employees said that as soon as the CNN+ shutdown was announced, all CNN+ logos and accessories, including a large statue, were removed from the network’s offices.
Getty Images CNN+

CNN+’s last day of operation was April 28 and according to sources, the CNN+ logo was removed from sight.

Employees said a giant CNN+ sculpture was pulled out of the building and replaced with one for HBO Max, the company’s main streaming service.

,

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here