Nearly six years after the murder of a high school football player at age 15, a convicted first-degree murderer in California may be granted early release with the aid of Senate Bill 1391.
Via SB 1391, minors cannot be prosecuted as adults, no matter what crime they committed, making them eligible to be released from prison at the age of 25 with a clean criminal record.
The victim, Jolan “JJ” Clavo, a 17-year-old high school senior, was on his way back to school in Sacramento for a CIF football game with five of his friends Friday night when he was approached at a three-way stop sign. Keymonte Lindsay, 15, on 13 November 2015.
JJ’s mother, Dr. Nicole Clavo, told The Epoch Times that her son was on his way back from Popeyes when he was shot multiple times, with one bullet going through his neck.
JJ is urged by his friends to carry on with the adrenaline left in him before he collapses.
His friends were able to escort him to the back seat before heading back to campus, where students and visitors are gathering for Friday Night Football.
“The campus was about a mile and a half from where it was from,” Nicole said. “Unfortunately, he didn’t survive.”
Nicole described her son as “full of life.” She remembers that on his 16th birthday he took her far away to buy a car. The battle she is facing has bought her a car in which he will later die.
Nicole said, “Maybe if I hadn’t bought him a car, he wouldn’t have been there, because he wouldn’t have been able to drive Poppies to eat something.” “I expected great things from him, and unfortunately, I will never know if those things will be achieved.”
The next day, November 14, Lindsay was arrested in February 2016 before being officially charged with murder.
The Clavo family waited nearly four years until they officially went to trial in August 2019, shortly after SB 1391 was signed into law earlier that year.
“Unfortunately, Senate Bill 1391 came through like a creep in the night,” Clavo said.
Lindsay, who was to be charged as an adult, was deemed eligible by a judge to proceed through juvenile court.
“We believe K. Lindsey’s conduct should result in a commitment by age 25,” Sacramento’s Chief Deputy District Attorney Rod Norgaard told The Epoch Times via email.
“There will be no supervision in the community. However, at any time, a youth may return to court and bring motion to show that he has met his rehabilitation goals, seeking to end his juvenile wardship/supervision before that time. Is.
Unless Lindsay is found to be in violation of a court order, she will not be eligible to remain behind bars.
“My son was actually the first to come here in Sacramento, put forward [SB] 1391,” said Nicole. “It was one of the first cases to go here as well as the appeals court in Sacramento County, and unfortunately, we lost our appeal in the Court of Appeals. He took the side of 1391. Which means that whether or not we’ve already gone through all of his action, he was able to take us all back to the beginning. “
Under SB 1391, Nicole worries that Lindsay will not be ready for release in the coming years. In court, Nicole made a victim’s statement to the need to break the cycle of Lindsay’s family legacy.
“My worry would be that he comes back with his family and falls back into the same hole, that he repeats the same crime, victimizes someone else,” she said. “We are not holding these people accountable for their actions and their crimes. Victims continue to suffer at the hands of these laws, and those who are creating it are familiar with the pain and suffering they will experience in later life. Huh. “
Lindsay is 21 and faces first-degree murder charges that will be dismissed in four years.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times