October 7 (WNN) — The Minnesota Supreme Court has rejected the request of a public defender of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.
Chauvin, 45, appealed his April verdict killing George Floyd on last year’s Memorial Day, requesting a public defender to represent him.
The former police officer was sentenced in June to 22 and a half years in prison for second-degree unintentional manslaughter, third-degree manslaughter and second-degree manslaughter for kneeling on the neck of a prostrate Floyd for more than nine minutes. was found guilty. on 25 May 2020.
The Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday that Chauvin is not eligible for a public protector.
“After reviewing Chauvin’s request, the information provided about his assets and debts, and [Office of the Minnesota Appellate Public Defender]We conclude that Chauvin has not established that he is entitled to appointed representation at this time,” the ruling said.
The announcement comes weeks after he filed an appeal for his conviction on 14 grounds, claiming the court had “abused his discretion” when he refused his proposal to change the trial site and to continue with a new trial. Another offer declined.
On the same day, Chauvin applied to be represented in his appeal by a public defender, stating that he was “not currently represented by legal counsel.”
“Due to my current imprisonment, I do not have sufficient means to retain a personal counsel for appeal,” he said in the document. “I currently have no source income other than a modest prison salary, nor do I own any real property or vehicle.”
He said he only had two retirement accounts, and would incur “a significant penalty” if he accessed them early.
“The district court case for which I intend to appeal was paid for by the Minneapolis Peace and Police Officers Association,” he said, “and I have been informed that their obligation to pay for my representation is my sentence. But it’s over.”