Friday, January 27, 2023

Court sentences hitman who tried to kill David Ortiz

A Dominican court in June 2019 sentenced 10 men involved in the attempted murder of former Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz to prison terms ranging from 5 to 30 years.

The court sentenced those who have been in pre-trial custody since the year in which Ortiz was shot for participating in the execution or organization of the ambush, when he was visiting friends at an exclusive bar in Santo. Talking with a group. Domingo.

On the night of that Sunday, June 9, a man dismounted from a motorcycle and shot the former slugger in the back at close range.

The retired baseball player had to undergo multiple surgeries in his native Dominican Republic and in the United States.

Judges determined that Rolfe “Sandy” Ferreiras Cruz, 27, was the man who shot and that Eddie “Nata” Vladimir Feliz García, 26, was driving the motorcycle. Both were sentenced to 30 years in prison.

“Alberto Miguel Rodríguez Mota, 28, the man who committed the act, will serve 20 years in prison,” the Dominican judicial body said in a statement.

Along with him, Oliver Moises Mirabal, 28, and José Eduardo “Chucky” Ciprián Lebrón, 24, were sentenced to ten years in prison. A nine-year sentence was also imposed on Gabriel Alexander “Hueso” Pérez Vizcaino (Hueso). 31, and one of the six, Joel “Calamardo” Rodriguez de la Cruz, 28.

Franklin Jr. Meran (Rubirosa), 26, was sentenced to five years in prison for minor involvement; Junior Cesar “Yayo” La Hose Vargas, 28, and Porfirio Ayendi “Nene” Dechamps Vasquez, 29.

Prosecutors elaborated, “There was an association of criminals, illegal use of firearms, attempted murder and complicity, as provided for and punished by Articles 2, 265, 266, 296, 297, 298 and 302 of the Dominican Penal Code.” crimes committed.”

The first collegiate court also on Monday acquitted the three suspects due to lack of sufficient evidence. Among them was Victor Hugo Gomez Vasquez, who was accused of planning the attack.

US private investigators hired by Ortiz said the former Hall of Famer was attacked on the orders of a Dominican drug trafficker who was jealous of him.

The findings of former Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis contradicted a previous hypothesis by Dominican authorities, in that the hitman was hired by Ortiz’s cousin Sixto David Fernandez and who was at the same table at the time of the attack.

Dominican authorities speculated that the hitman mistook Fernandez for Ortiz.

“Big Puppy,” with tremendous bat power and a charming smile, guided Boston to three World Series titles. He was a 10-time All-Star and hit 541 home runs before retiring in 2016.

When he was attacked, he had been living in the Dominican Republic for part of the year.

As a result of the gunfire, Ortiz’s gallbladder and part of an intestine had to be removed.

Officials noted that they would release more details of the sentencing on February 8.

,

Associated Press reporter Megan Janetsky contributed to this report from Havana.

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news