Thursday, September 23, 2021

Custody fight over 6-year-old who survived Italy cable accident

Rome—The only survivor of a cable car accident in northern Italy this year, a six-year-old boy is at the center of a bitter custody battle between his maternal grandparents in Israel and his paternal relatives in Italy who claim the child. The flight was flown to Israel over the weekend without his permission.

Fourteen people, including Eaton Beeran’s parents and younger brother, were killed when the cable car hit a mountain after the cable broke on May 23. After the boy was released from a Turin hospital after weeks of treatment for serious injuries, Italian juvenile court officials ruled that the child could live with his aunt near Pavia in northern Italy. But the aunt, Aya Biran, told reporters on Sunday that the previous day, Eaton’s maternal grandfather took the boy on an agreed-day visit, then took him to Israel without permission.

She said the boy has been undergoing both physical therapy and psychotherapy since his release from the hospital and was due for follow-up medical visits this week, including one in Turin.

“Her bed is empty, her toys and clothes were left behind. On Monday, she had her new desk, school bag, notebook, pencil case and books ready for her first day of class.

Chachi argued that when Nana had come for an arranged visit to pick him up on Saturday morning, it was decided that the boy would return for dinner. But when Eaton did not return, the aunt filed a police report on Saturday night, the Italian news report said.

Nana could not be immediately reached for comment. But a sister of Eaton’s late mother denied that the boy had been taken away from Italy.

“We didn’t kidnap Eaton,” Gali Peleg told radio station 103 FM in Israel. “We won’t use that word. What happened is that we brought Eaton home.

Read Also:  New AUKUS partnership a 'win' for democracies: experts

Gali Peleg did not say where the boy was, only that he had come on a Saturday. “We are taking care of his emotional state and health.”

In Italy, Aya Biran told reporters that the boy has Italian citizenship and had been living with his parents since he was a child in Italy before the accident. It was not immediately possible to confirm whether the child also had Israeli citizenship but reportedly had an Israeli passport.

The Italian foreign ministry was not immediately commenting on the matter.

Aunt in Israel told the radio station that the boy “screamed with excitement upon seeing us. He said, ‘I’m finally in Israel.

Pavia prosecutors’ offices were closed on Sunday and investigators could not immediately be contacted for comment on Italian news reports that they were considering launching an investigation into the case.

Read Also:  Fed likely to open bond-buying 'taper' door, but hedge on outlook

Aya Biran told reporters “I am certain and full of hope” that Israeli and Italian officials will work together “to ensure their repatriation”.

Corriere della Sera newspaper quoted an uncle, or nirco, as saying on Saturday that Peleges had the boy’s Israeli passport and had failed to give paternal relatives to do so by August 30, despite an Italian court order. Nirko Tha was quoted as saying that the boy’s maternal grandparents had argued that if he had lived in Italy, “Ethan would have grown up without being attached to his (Israeli) identity”.

According to paternal relatives, the maternal family challenged the custody arrangement in Italian courts to allow Eaton to live with Beeran, a doctor with their children.

by Francis D’Emilio

.

This News Originally From – The Epoch Times

Custody fight over 6-year-old who survived Italy cable accident
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply