No one can imagine losing their arms and legs at the age of 14. Few cases like this are known, but this is what happened to Matías Uribe Gutiérrez. The young paisa who had to amputate all four of his arms after being infected with a strange and dangerous bacteria.
This situation completely changed the life of Matías and his whole family. What started as a supposedly simple flu turned into a strange bacteria that violently ended up taking over his limbs.
The young man from Antioquia has been living since he was four years old in Nashville, Tennessee, in the United States, where he began to feel sick after a family outing. After being taken to a hospital, his health condition worsened to the point that they had to resuscitate him and then he entered a state where he was only alive because of the artificial devices to which he was connected.
After regaining consciousness, he had circulation problems. After many complications, his limbs had to be amputated.
According to his parents, especially his mother, the most difficult thing for them is to explain the whole situation to their son. “How do you tell your 14-year-old son that he’s going to lose all his arms?” Matías’ mother questioned the media statements.
Although the young paisa was surprised to learn of his situation, he later began to make plans, despite the limitations arising from his new reality.
What are bacteria?
Catalina Gutiérrez, mother of Matías, made statements to the media that after they returned from the walk, the young man suffered from redness all over his body, as if a rash or sunstroke, with a very high fever.
After deteriorating health and being transferred from the hospital twice, the young man was diagnosed with toxic shock syndrome, caused by group A streptococcus bacteria.
This bacteria enters your blood and causes you to have even less circulation in your blood. The diagnosis, according to the mother, was given to her on June 30 and the doctors told her that it was a rare case.
How do bacteria enter the body?
According to the mother’s story, the doctors could not give her an exact answer as to how Matías was infected or contracted the bacteria, because the only thing the doctor said was that it was something that, although it was very rare. that happens, may happen to him.
“I wish I had the answer to this so I could prevent something like this from happening to another father. I don’t want to see anyone in this situation, but I don’t have it,” said the woman.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this rare bacteria is associated with strep throat, which are infections of the throat and tonsils caused by bacteria called group Streptococcus (group A streptococcus).
According to this organization, group A streptococcal bacteria are highly contagious and are transmitted primarily through nasal or throat fluids from infected people. Also on rare occasions it can be spread through poor food handling.
On the other hand, according to this organization, it takes between two to five days for an infected person to show symptoms. So it can be transmitted by talking, coughing or sneezing. In addition, sometimes this bacteria can cause more serious diseases, as happened in this case.
This bacteria, if violated, can endanger the whole human life, because depending on the entity, it can become necrotizing fasciitis (often called “flesh-eating bacteria”) and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome (STSS). , for its acronym in English), which is what happened to the young 14-year-old paisa.
Matías and his family know that a long road awaits them in this new moment in the life of the young Antiochian. According to his mother, Catalina Gutiérrez, Matías plans to continue playing sports and have a normal life.
If you want to help Matías and his family, you have two options. On the one hand, you can do this through the Go Fund Me platform, in the #MiracleForMathias campaign, where you can make your donation at the link: https://gofund.me/e3820237.
If you want to do it through the bank deposit method, an account has also been set up with Bancolombia. The money can be sent to the savings account 342-524202-17, in the name of Sandra Catalina Gutiérrez.