Taking care of our health and that of our loved ones, especially the elderly, is one of the main concerns of our society, a concern that has gained special relevance in recent years, largely due to the significant increase in life expectancy. Progressive aging of the population and of the population pyramid of our country. and that There are currently about 9.4 million people over the age of 64 in Spain.Experts estimate that number will increase to more than 2 million over the next decade.
We live longer thanks to, among other things, the many scientific advances made in the field of health, but is there anything that can be done to ensure that not only more years of life are achieved, but Also to give life to those years? Experts agree that it can be done and that one way to do this is to take care of and keep in shape the immune system, a complex network that helps our bodies fight off infections and other diseases. Suffers after age, making the body more vulnerable to external attacks. We know this as immunosenescence.
With this premise as background, and with the commemoration, on the 26th day of Grandparents Day, GSK has created a “Declog for the Care of the Immune System Over Time”, designed within “Immunofitness”. There is a series of practical tips. “The campaign and aims to ensure that, regardless of the years passed, our rescues continue to enjoy good health and have the best quality of life we can. These are:
1. take care of our food Maintaining a strong immune system is essential. Follow a diet with local produce (or zero kilos), which includes seasonal vegetables and fruits, along with organic/free-range eggs, meat and fish. Carbohydrates, the better the integral.
2. For cooking, better baked, steamed or grilled, These cooking methods allow all the nutrients of the food to be retained.
3. Batch cooking: Organize menus on a weekly basis, That is, make multiple recipes in a day for different days of the week. This allows for planning of nutritional intake and prevents us from improvising with fast food.
4. regular physical exercise It reduces the risk of suffering from certain diseases and helps in controlling overweight. In this aspect, it is important to drink enough water to be able to accomplish this, as it has been proven that a certain level of dehydration reduces motivation and increases the feeling of effort, lowering our resistance and Avoids toxic habits like tobacco or alcohol. ,
5. keep mind healthyTo understand the way we relate to our thoughts, it is necessary to understand that we are not those thoughts, but that they happen within us.
6. Practitioner Mindfulness: Think about the here and now. The whirlwind of everyday life leaves little room for us to connect with ourselves and be aware of the moment we are living in. To be able to let go of stress and create mindfulness routines, we can develop exercises throughout the day that enable us to connect with ourselves and enjoy the here and now, which will have a positive impact on our well-being.
7. sleep, not only the number of hours of sleep that matters but also its quality, Our body recovers from deep sleep and can be fully operational the next day. Using an after-hours daily routine, avoiding electronic devices in the late hours of the day, and drinking stimulating drinks from the afternoon on, will make it easier to fall asleep.9
8. Take care of our social relations: In addition to taking care of your mind and body, maintain an active social life. Having a social network that provides us with appropriate support and effective stress control are not only basic pillars of physical and mental health, but are based on something even greater: life satisfaction and happiness. 10
9. Visit the doctor regularly: In order to live longer and better, it is important to have close and fluid contact with our doctor. 11. Health professionals monitor our health status and are able to give us the best recommendations to prevent diseases and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
10. Vaccines aren’t just for kids. There are vaccines that are administered in childhood and whose protection lasts a lifetime, there are some that require periodic reminders, and others that are specifically aimed at preventing diseases occurring during adulthood. There are.
In short, to age with a healthy and strong immune system, you need to eat well and in a balanced way, have an active life and not be sedentary, avoid stress and toxic or negative environments, and Keep your vaccinations up to date.