Dejected young man near Chicago tourist attraction

CHICAGO ( Associated Press) — A 16-year-old man was shot to death near “The Bean” sculpture in downtown Chicago, authorities said.

The young man was shot to death around 7:30 pm on Saturday, police said. So far they have not identified him.

The young man was taken to Lurie Children’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.

At least two suspects are being questioned and two weapons were recovered at the scene, authorities said.

The police are still investigating the incident. No further information has been released at this time.

“This senseless loss of life is totally unacceptable,” Mayor Lori Lightfoot said in a press release.

“Today, a mother is grieving, mourning the loss of her son and searching for answers,” he added.

He announced measures “to help prevent events like this from happening in the future” and said details would be announced later. In the press release he mentioned the influx of young people in the city center, but did not give details about the relevance of this data.

“We must also have zero tolerance towards young people who carry weapons or who resolve minor disputes through violence,” the mayor said in her press release. “We must condemn this conduct in the strongest possible way.”

Hundreds of people were in Millennium Park on Saturday to protest — as in other cities — against the draft opinion that the Supreme Court is preparing to ban abortions. It is not clear if the young man shot was participating in the protest.

Subscribe

Get the best of Newspaper delivered to your inbox daily

Most Viewed

Related Stories