Thanks to the bonds of the National Health Fund (Fonasa), affiliated individuals can obtain financing that covers a large part of a medical service and thus choose the treating professional and/or the institution from the public or private sector where to have a consultation. Examination or procedure through the Free Choice Modality (MLE).
ChileAtiende states that Fonasa has a mechanism that allows partners to request a refund of bonus money if they have not used it, which can be done both remotely and in person.
Requirements to request the refund of funds from a Fonasa bonus
Individuals affiliated to Fonasa (insured persons) and their family members who wish to undergo the procedure must meet the following requirements.
- Request a refund for a medical consultation voucher: Present the holder’s current ID card and health certificate (original).
- Request a refund of funds from a medical program: You must present the holder’s current ID card.
However, if the return is requested by a third party, you must provide a photocopy of the holder’s current ID card and a simple power of attorney.
How to request a refund of an unused Fonasa bonus
The procedure can be carried out at a Fonasa branch or at a facility contracted by agreement (medical centers and communities).The latter only applies if the purchase was made in cash and with the necessary documents.
This is also possible online:
- Visit the Fonasa website, click here.
- Enter your RUT, serial number or ID card document and press “Enter”.
- Click “Medical Return”, fill out the form with the required information, attach the required documents and click “Submit”.
Once this is done, the Fonasa bonus refund request will be sent. However, if you purchased the voucher with a credit card, the cancellation will take place via Transbank.