That December dinner can be a challenge for people with diabetes, who represent just over 10 percent of the population in Mexico, according to UNAM estimates.
diabetes Is third cause of death in the country Only after heart disease and COVID-19, so it’s no big deal to take special measures during Christmas and New Year’s meals if you or someone in your family has this condition.
The primary rule on these dates is Do not overdo it with food, drink or a sedentary lifestyle Because the holidays are often a perfect excuse to be more generous, says Arlette Ramirez, diabetes educator at BD Ultra-Fine.
To this end, it recommends a series of measures that are easy to follow during Christmas celebrations and that bring many benefits to health in the long term.
- remember before going to dinner monitor your glucose levels, Doing this before, during, and after the holidays will help you make better eating decisions.
- set your alarm it will be very useful for you don’t forget your drug treatment,
- take insulin correctly So that you can reach your destination properly.
- Ultra thin and small! The needles you put in conventional syringes or pre-filled pens should be like this.
- Rotate injection sites and use needles only once to avoid counterproductive effects.
- Would you skip home to celebrate? be sure to take all necessary supplies with you And always have them at hand: insulin, needles, alcohol wipes, glucometer, test strips, etc. Remember to save enough so that it is not difficult for you to get them wherever you go.
- if you go to the beach don’t forget store your insulin properly, The gel case can keep it cool in hot places. Also watch your hydration.
- consult your doctor about Foods and Drinks You Can Eat on these dates. They should suit your needs and eating plan, which you like and which you can enjoy without regret. Remember that there are no prohibited foods, but sufficient quantity, Increasing fiber, reducing fat, using sugar substitutes and choosing lighter foods are good options for taking care of your health.
- shrink main course, Try starting with a salad and drinking natural water to induce satiety and thus reduce the heaviest portion of dinner, which is also usually the most caloric.
- If you eat away from home, choose foods that are closest to where you plan to eat.
- notify people With whom you will share dinner. Knowing your situation will help with some things to keep in mind such as preparing healthy meals and preparing you for any eventuality.
Which foods are forbidden for diabetics?
According to the United States National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, foods with harmful effects for people with this disease are: