On the morning of this Lord’s day, March 26, 2013, the residents of the municipality of Los Santos in Santander were caught off guard. a new earthquake in Colombia.
It was reported by the Colombian Geological Survey Earthquake magnitude 3.2At 6:36 am, it appeared at an altitude of 148 kilometers and was located 6 kilometers from Los Santos.
No damage was reported after this new earthquake in Columbia.
Not for the first time, in 2023, in Los Santos, Santander
On Friday, March 10, 2023, a strong earthquake in Colombia shook much of the country. An earthquake occurred at 4.18 am in Mesa de Los Santos, Santander, according to the Colombian Geological Service.
Except for the Department of Valle del Cauca, they reported on social networks that they felt it in many regions of the country. In fact, an earthquake of magnitude 5.9. also awakened the inhabitants of the border regions between Colombia and Venezuela.
The Journal of the Geological Society of Colombia reported that the earthquake in Colombia had a depth of 151 kilometers.
Los Santos, Santander, is considered the second largest seismic nest in the world.
The seismological observatory of eastern Colombia explained that since Los Santos is located in a rocky area, the intensity of earthquakes is reduced. “That height makes the seismic movement weaker, but not the level of the movement stronger. In this case, when we have rocks, hard lands, in these seismic waves of the earth are not amplified”, explains Carlos Lozano, director of the observatory.
What happened during and after the earthquake?
During an earthquake, it is important to remain calm and act quickly for the safety and security of those around us. Here are some warnings about what to do in an earthquake;
1. You will be silent: The first thing to do is to sit quietly and avoid panic. If we are in a closed place, it is important to find a safe place, such as under the table or in the door of the table.
2. Get away from objects that can fall; During an earthquake, it is common for them to move and fall to the ground. It is important to stay away from windows, mirrors, lamps and other things that can fall on us.
3. Evacuate the building if necessary; But if in a building that moves a lot or that shows damage, it is important to leave the place immediately. It is advisable to find emergency exits and escape routes that occur during an earthquake.
4. Do not use the elevator: in an earthquake, it is important not to use a lift to leave the building. It is better to use the platforms, and get down calmly and carefully.
5. depart from power poles and unstable structures; If we are on the street during an earthquake, it is important to stay away from electric poles and unstable structures that can fall on us.
6. Stay safe; After an earthquake, it is important to stay informed about the authorities and the safety measures that must be followed. Also, it is important to be prepared for future tremors.