Greenville, NC – East Carolina (16-13) returns home in the first of four consecutive games at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClaire Stadium on Wednesday when it hosts No. 29 Old Dominion (20-6). The first pitch is scheduled for 6:30 PM and will be streamed ESPN+,
The Pirates, who have made 31 NCAA regional appearances, won their second-straight American Athletic Conference regular season title with a league-best 20 victories, hosting the Greenville Regional (the sixth in the program’s history) for the third consecutive year in 2021. 13 national seed and advanced to Vanderbilt Super Regional. ECU ranked in all six national polls (Collegiate Baseball/No.12, D1Baseball/No.12, Perfect Game/No.12, Baseball America/No.13, NCBWA/No.13 and USA Today/No.13). After posting an overall record of 44-17 in 2021.
ECU returns 25 players including freshman All-America selections CJ Mehue (2020), zach agnos (2021) and josh moylan (2021) with AAC All-Conference cast Jake Kuchner (2019) and Bryson Worrell (2021). Overall, the roster includes 13 freshmen, 19 sophomores, five juniors and five seniors.
The recruitment category for 2021-22 comprises two fielders (landon howard And Jacob Jenkins-Court), two outfielders (Carter Cunningham And luke nowaki), two catchers (eden edwards And Ryan McChrystal) and nine pitchers (merit beaker, Charlie Hodges, jake hunter, Jordan Little, Wyatt Lunsford-Schenkman, Eric Richie, ben terwilliger, jaden winter And Trey Yesways,
Individual Quick Hits (Before Wednesday)
- For the third straight year, Jake Kuchner The weekend rotation was penciled in… in seven starts, he owns a 3-2 record with 3.73 ERA where he allowed 17 runs (13 earned) on 36 hits in 31.1 innings… his second quality Recorded the start of the season (3/11) against St. Mary’s and has eight to his career … As a Pirate, he is 20-8 with over 55 appearances with a 3.99 career ERA (44 starts) – ninth all-time in ECU) … lefty has worked in 217.0 innings with 58 walks with 178 strikeouts … A first-team All-AAC selection in 2019, he made 31st in NCAA DI history on March 17 in Maryland Thrown the right game.
- josh groszow Tossed three scoreless frames with five punch outs at Duke (3/1) scored his first career win in relief … second win of the year against Michigan (3/5) … of his career, he was 2- Hai 2 is recording 40 strikes in 39.2 IP with a 5.67 ERA.
- jake hunter Made his collegiate debut against Bryant (2/20) as a Sunday starter … In seven outings (five starts), he set a 0-1 record with a 5.60 ERA.. The right-hander took 5-0 Thrown 3.1 scoreless frames with three punch outs against North Carolina (2/27…became the first true freshman to start a game opening weekend since… Trey Benton (2017) and Ole Miss.
- Carter Spivey Smashed a career-high 4.2 innings in relief against No. 22 NC State (3/29) … as well as a career-high seven strikes with 4.1 scoreless frames versus No. 26 North Carolina (2/27). .. In 16 outings, which included a start at Campbell, he is 1-0 with two saves… He currently plays a 3.16 ERA with 39 strikeouts and just five walks in a total of 31.1 frames.
- CJ Mehue Tabbed by the NCBWA as a Precision All-American (third-team) … Prior to the season opener, he was included on the NCBWA stopper-of-the-year watch list for the second year in a row … Appeared in … Has given 58 career games (57 reliefs) posted a 6-2 record with nine saves … owns 2.87 ERA and has 87.2 dismissals in 36 innings with 121 batsmen … 1st collegiate start vs No. 22 NC State (3/29) allowed one run for two with four strikeouts in three innings.
- Garrett Saylor The Pirates were named one of Collegiate Baseball’s National Player-of-the-Week (March 14) after appearing in four games over the course of 3–2 weeks, including a series win over St. Was also named the Honor Roll (March 14) … in 16 outings (two starts) he is 2-3 with two saves and has dismissed 49 batsmen scoring nine runs in 34.0 innings.
- lane hoover Leads the team with a .383 batting average (third in the AAC) … currently has an eight-game hitting streak and counts at least one hit in 18 of the last 20 matches entering this week’s action Has… In the ECU, he started 121 out of 140 games, posting a .323 batting average with one home run, 16 doubles and 55 RBIs … winning four games (one in 2022). .. to strike out first in AAC (once every 11.9 ABs) … in the name of AAC Honor Roll (April 4).
- alec makarewicz Was named to the AAC Honor Roll (March 7) … leads the club in home runs (seven) and RBIs (24), while sharing the lead in doubles (seven) … in the series opener Hit a pair of runs Cincinnati (April 1) — one each from the right and left sides of the plate… Tied to a career-high with four RBIs at Duke (March 1).
- Justin Wilcoxon Has started 23 of 14 games played behind the plate … played three multi-hits and one multi-RBI game this season … hit the first home run of a career against North Carolina (February 27).
- Jacob Jenkins-Court Claims a .322 batting average… is second on the team in home runs (four) and RBIs (20) … counted nine multi-hits and five multi-RBI games during the true freshman season Has … have two games – RBI against St. Mary’s (March 11 and March 13 / Game to doubleheader) Winning both.
- skylar brooks Has appeared in 14 games, leads the AAC and ranks sixth nationally … owns a 0-1 record with two saves and a 4.00 career era … 19 during 12 runs in 18.0 innings Fanned the batsmen… notched saves against UNC (2/27) and Indiana State (3/4).
- josh moylan Returned to action at UNCW…hit a pair of home runs and went to four in ECU’s 4-1 week (3/22-27) and now has three in year… Pirates 4-K Pulled seven free passes during 0 weeks (3/1-6) … He covered four walks at Duke (3/1) – something that had not been done since Corey Thompson (vs Milwaukee) in 2012 … has appeared in 82 career games (80 starts) and owns a career batting average of .275 with nine home runs and 46 RBIs.
- zach agnos Leads the team with four game-winning RBIs (two in the LeClair Classic) and 11 multi-hit games… In his time in the ECU, he has started all 107 games played where he is batting. 269 with seven home runs, 22 doubles and 66 RBI.
- Ryder Giles Has started in 148 of 155 games played at shortstop since stepping on campus in 2019 … currently third with 37 sacrifices in the Pirates annual … has his sixth career save against Maryland , which has 2.1 scoreless frames with three strikes … Started four career games (Duke on 4/3/19, UNCW on 3/22/22, VCU on 3/26/22, CIN on 4/2/ 22 … named in the AAC Honor Roll (March 28) … not allowed a run in seven matches this season (18.1 innings).
- Bryson Worrell He has started all 29 games at center, where he has an average of .248, with three home runs, six doubles and has scored 11… he has started 130 from 185 games. 87 RBI … has swiped 19 out of 26 bases and owns .980 career fielding percentage.
Possible Start (2022 stats)
Wednesday: LH Tommy Gertner (1-3, 7.83 ERA) vs. LH CJ Mehue (2-1, 4.15 epochs)
godwin at a glance
cliff godwin, who was named as the 16th head coach in the school’s history on June 25, 2014, was a four-year letterwinner for the Pirates from 1998–2001 … He was part of 12 NCAA regional and two College World Series teams in Division I. Used to be. Level as an assistant coach and head coach… During his eight years at the helm of the program, Godwin led the ECU to five NCAA regional berths (the 2018, 2019 and 2021 Greenville Regionals host), three super regional appearances, and American Athletic’s. directed to a pair. A pair of conference regular seasons and AAC tournaments were crowned, posting an overall record of 274–143–1 (.657) … Sixteen players earned All-America status, while 15 were NCAA all-region selections, 23 were named to the All-Conference (18 first-teams) and 14 were drafted by Major League Baseball teams … three-time AAC coach-of-the-year selection (2015, 2019, 2021), Godwin was inducted into the George Whitfield Hall of Fame in January of 2016. … In 2018, he completed a summer stint at USA Baseball College, ate the staff of the Chinese national team posting a 12-3 record, including series victories over Taipei, Japan and Cuba… As a player, he served as a member of the ECU. Helped former captain Keith LeClair’s teams post a 169-76 four-year-old account holder, including more than 46 wins. In each of its final three seasons (46–16 in ’99, 46–18 in ’00 and 47–13 in ’01) … ECU won a pair of CAA Tournament titles each season from 1999 to 2001. Proceeded in NCAA territory. … The Pirates were their regional top seed in all three years, including a No. 7 national seed in 2001, where they advanced to the Super Regional round before being eliminated by Tennessee.