Egypt has approved direct flights between the Houthi-controlled capital of Yemen and Cairo, the Yemeni government said on Tuesday in the latest sign of progress in the war-torn country.
The green light comes after the first commercial flight in six years from Sanaa in Jordan to Amman last week, as part of a UN brokerage between Yemen’s internationally recognized government and the Iran-backed Houthi militias.
Yemeni Foreign Minister Ahmed bin Mubarak wrote on Twitter: “We express our deepest thanks to the fraternal Egyptian government for agreeing to operate direct flights between Sanaa and Cairo in accordance with the ceasefire agreement.”
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News Channel online or through the app.
“The competent authorities in both the countries will work in the coming days to coordinate and complete the technical procedures for the operation of flights,” he said.
A statement from Egypt’s foreign ministry said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed his “sincere thanks…” for allowing direct flights between Cairo and Sanaa within the framework of the UN ceasefire in Yemen. The Egyptian Foreign Minister was called for.
The weekly flights to Cairo and Amman are part of the agreement that entered into force on April 2, and is due to be renewed next week.
On 16 May, a Yemeni flight carrying 126 passengers, including critically ill hospital patients and their relatives, became the first commercial flight to depart Sanaa since August 2016.
UN: Yemen ceasefire could help address ‘worsening’ humanitarian crisis
Arab coalition transports Houthi prisoners to Yemen in humanitarian initiative
Yemen official: two commanders killed in clash with terrorists