The FBI released the first previously unclassified document about the hijackers of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack over the weekend, responding to an order given by President Joe Biden a few days earlier.
On Saturday night, a 16-page heavily revised document (PDF) written in 2016 highlights logistical support that was given to some Saudi September 11 hijackers. The families of victims killed during the 2001 attacks have long called for the report and other documents related to the incident to be made public.
According to the document, the FBI did not find evidence linking the Saudi government to the terrorist attacks, although 15 of the kidnappers were Saudi citizens. Earlier, a US commission said it had no evidence that Saudi Arabia directly funded al-Qaeda, the terrorist group long suspected of directing terrorist attacks.
The families of some 2,000 people killed in the attacks, as well as thousands of others who were injured or suffered financial losses, have filed lawsuits against Saudi Arabia seeking billions of dollars.
New declassified document shows the FBI has worked to investigate military aid that a Saudi consulate official and a suspected Saudi intelligence agent in Los Angeles provided to two terrorists who hijacked the planes. It details a number of connections and the testimony of witnesses that prompted the FBI to investigate Omar al-Bayoumi, who was suspected of being an intelligence agent and allegedly “travel aid, accommodation” to help the two hijackers. and financing”.
The hijackers Nawaf al-Hazmi and Khalid al-Mihdhar were assisted by al-Bayoumi when the pair first arrived in the United States in 2000. They met through a “chance encounter” at a restaurant before helping him.
Family members of the victims of the September 11 attacks issued a statement saying the Saudi government was most likely to be complicit.
“Even with an unfortunate number of reforms, the report contains several new revelations, including several Saudi government officials mobilizing a needed support network for the first 9/11 hijackers, Nawaf Al Hajmi and Khalid Al is in a coordinated effort. Mihdhar,” 9/11 Family United said in a statement over the weekend. “The range of contacts between these Saudi government officials, al-Qaeda and the hijackers at critical moments is astonishing.”
But the Saudi government denied before releasing the document that it was linked to the attacks. The United States and Saudi Arabia have been longtime allies and even coordinate with each other on counter-terrorism issues, with the United States selling billions of dollars in weapons in recent years.
“As revealed by previous investigations, including the 9/11 Commission and the issuance of the so-called ’28 pages’, there has never been any evidence that the Saudi government or its officials had prior knowledge of the terrorist attack or They were involved in some way,” the Saudi embassy said in a statement last week.
The document was released earlier this month after Biden handed down an executive order directing the Justice Department, which oversees the FBI, to review classified information. The families of the victims called on the president to do so after September 11, saying that if he didn’t, Biden should not attend any of his memorial events.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times