Fire caused by smoking Article: Second death confirmed

0
1
Fire caused by smoking Article: Second death confirmed

At least two people, a 58-year-old man and a 35-year-old woman, died in a fire caused by smoking paraphernalia at HLM for senior citizens in the early hours of Friday, with a third victim in critical condition. Morning, east of Montreal.

“We can now confirm the second death,” Sabrina Gauthier, city officer of the Montreal Police Department, announced in the early afternoon, regarding the tragedy that occurred this morning in the Pointe-aux-Neighbourhood. Aspens.

At around 4:30 a.m., a call was made to 911 to report a fire on Saint-Jean-Baptiste Boulevard. About 70 firefighters were dispatched to the scene.

Authorities found three people, including Alain Bernier, a long-time area resident, who did not survive.

Read Also:  Connor Bedard was "warmly" welcomed by Brad Marchand

Fire Caused By Smoking Article: Second Death Confirmed

A 35-year-old woman also died in the last hours at a hospital center.

The third victim was taken in very serious condition. That would be Danny Bernier, one of Alain Bernier’s two sons. According to his relatives, his survival was uncertain.

Fire Caused By Smoking Article: Second Death Confirmed

Danny Bernier’s condition is critical. courtesy of family

“It is really sad. When you play with fire, you never know what can happen,” Daniel Bernier said in front of the low-income housing building in which his brother Alain died hours earlier.

“The main fire, where it was the hottest, was next to Ellen, on a couch or bed. That’s what the police told me,” said another brother, Pierre Bernier, 59.

Read Also:  Quebec will enter the center of winter
A blow

The fire apparently sent a wave of shock among the residents of this house, where everyone knows each other.

“I have watched him grow since he was little. He was a nice gentleman. He helped his mother a lot. He was very ill. Even though he was riding a four-wheeler, he cleared the snow from our path. I have a lot of respect for him,” testified Dennis, a local neighbor who knew Mr. Bernier very well.

In the past, before battling several health problems, he was a welder.

Additionally, according to a building manager on site, smoke detectors were working throughout the building, including the affected apartments.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here