Wednesday, December 1, 2021

First lawsuits filed after Travis Scott concert left 8 dead

Travis Scott’s Astroworld music festival attendees sued rapper and event organizer Live Nation Sunday in what is expected to be the first of many lawsuits after a tragic crowd collision Friday night killed at least eight people and many more. were injured.

Manuel Sousa filed a lawsuit a few days after the incident, claiming that the festival “failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner.” Scott, Live Nation and other co-organizers appear in the lawsuit, and their death is “a tragedy that can be prevented.” As Billboard first reported, Sousa is seeking at least $ 1 million in damages.

A second lawsuit, which also mentions rapper Drake, was filed later Sunday by another member, accusing the rappers of inciting “riot and violence,” while arguing that the organizers did not provide sufficient security and medical services at the venue. Investigators are still investigating the circumstances of the speech.

The Houston Chronicle notes that legal experts predict that liability for the festival could reach hundreds of millions of dollars, with many more lawsuits to be filed in the coming days.

At least eight people between the ages of 14 and 27 were killed at an event in Houston on Friday night, the first day of a festival named after Scott’s album. About 50,000 people were scheduled to arrive on Friday, and it is unclear what caused the crowd. The footage from the scene shows a chaotic ascent towards the stage, with many people hugging each other. In some videos, participants plead with the organizers to stop the show or shout for help with CPR.

A crowd watches Travis Scott perform at the Astroworld Festival at NRG Park on Friday, November 5, 2021 in Houston. Several people died and many others were injured as a result of what officials described as a wave of crowds at a music festival during Scott’s performance. Officials announced the “mass casualty incident” just after 9:00 pm on Friday during the festival, which was attended by about 50,000 people, Houston fire chief Samuel Peña told reporters at a press conference. (Jamaal Ellis / The Houston Chronicles via AP)

“You can’t just shut down when you have 50,000 and more than 50,000 people,” Houston Police Chief Troy Finner told reporters. “We need to worry about riots, riots when you have such a young group.”

After his death, the rapper stated that he planned to fully cooperate with the authorities, saying that he was “absolutely devastated by what happened.”

“I pray to families and all those affected by what happened at Astroworld,” he said in a statement this weekend. “The Houston police have my full support as they continue to investigate the tragic loss of life. I am determined to work with the Houston community to heal and support families in need. ”

Souza said in his complaint that Scott should be held accountable for the event, arguing that the rapper has regularly encouraged violent behavior in past concerts.

“This behavior has long been encouraged by the festival’s founder and main performer,” Souza told Billboard. “His blatant encouragement of violence has previously resulted in severe violence at numerous past concerts.”

Local authorities have pledged to conduct a full investigation into the fatal incident, stating that they will conduct “an objective independent investigation into what happened and how it could have been prevented, or if such a situation was beyond all hands.”

“The families of the victims and all those injured deserve answers about what happened last night,” Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said Saturday in the Chronicle.

Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -