BEIJING – The death toll from last month’s floods in the central Chinese province of Henan rose to 302 by Monday, officials said, more than triple the figure of 99 reported last week, with most of the deaths in the provincial capital, Zhengzhou. She was
In Zhengzhou, a city of 12 million that lies along the Yellow River, the death toll stood at 292, including 14 when a subway line was flooded. A total of 39 people died in underground areas, including garages and tunnels, in Zhengzhou.
Over three days last month, Zhengzhou received 617.1 mm (24.3 in) of rain, the equivalent of its annual average of 640.8 mm, causing widespread damage and disruption in a city with a major transportation and industrial hub.
Local officials told a briefing on Monday that 47 of the 50 people still missing in Henan province were from Zhengzhou.
Direct economic losses in Henan reached 114.27 billion yuan ($18 billion), affecting more than 580,000 hectares of agricultural land.
China’s State Council said it would set up a team to investigate the disaster in Zhengzhou and hold officials accountable, Xinhua reported, official news agency Xinhua reported.