Prediabetes refers to a blood sugar level that is higher than normal, but not high enough to be considered type 2 diabetes. Thus, if some lifestyle changes are not made in time, there are chances that you may end up with this type of disease.
According to Mayo Clinic, This condition usually does not cause any signs or symptoms, but a possible sign that may occur in some cases is a darkening of the skin on certain parts of the body. Affected areas may include the neck, armpits, and groin.
For symptoms that suggest you’ve moved from prediabetes to type 2 diabetes:
- increased thirst
- frequent urination
- increased appetite
Thus, it is important to take care of eating habits, choosing foods that help control blood sugar and prevent the development of diabetes later, because in some people, starting treatment in time can prevent blood sugar. Sugar prices may decline. To normalize.
foods allowed in prediabetes
Web portal your health List the foods that are healthy and can be eaten without any problem if you have prediabetes:
- Preferably white meat such as chicken, turkey and fish. Red meat should be eaten no more than 3 times a week, choosing lean cuts of meat.
- Vegetables and vegetables in general.
- Fruits, prefer them raw and with peel or pulp.
- Legumes: Beans, soybeans, chickpeas, peas, lentils, broad beans.
- Whole grain foods such as rice, pasta, whole wheat flour and oats.
- Oilseeds (including their butter): Walnuts, almonds, cashews, peanuts, Brazil nuts and pistachios.
- Dairy products and their skimmed derivatives.
- Good fats like olive oil, flaxseed, coconut and butter.
Forbidden Foods When You Have Prediabetes
Foods to Avoid When You Have Prediabetes Carbohydrates are because they differ in the amount of fiber, starch and sugar, which affect the glycemic response. because of this reason, your health Reveals specific foods to avoid:
- Foods rich in white flour: White bread, cookies, cakes and snacks stand out.
- Sugar rich foods: Chocolate, sweets, fruit jam, ice cream, others.
- Drinks: soft drinks, industrial juices, energy drinks, coffee or tea with sugar
- others: White rice, potatoes, pasta and fast food.
- high fat foodsSuch as sausages, sausages, bacon, yellow cheeses, whole milk and derivatives, fried foods, frozen foods such as pizza and lasagna.
- It is important to consume fruits in moderation, as some contain copious amounts of sugar and can lead to high blood sugar spikes.
Breakfast, Lunch, and Snacks for Prediabetes
Breakfast is one of the most important meals during the day because it is the one that usually provides the most energy. In this way, Patients with prediabetes should consume wholemeal flour such as: pancakes, wheat tortillas, arepas, crepes or breads. as carbohydrates, your health Recommend cheese, shredded chicken or ground beef.
It is important to consume a small portion of fruit or natural yogurt as a snack which can be supplemented with 1 tablespoon of oats, fruit and/or oilseeds such as walnuts, peanuts and almonds; Or 3 squares of 70% chocolate.
For lunch and dinner, the portal mentioned above recommends eating a salad of raw or sautéed vegetables in olive oil, which is rich in good fats, as well as carbohydrates such as rice, whole-wheat pasta, quinoa or sweet potatoes, and In addition, a good amount of protein should be consumed, which is mainly found in foods such as meat, poultry, fish and eggs.