Search
Monday, November 28, 2022

Former US VP Pence slams nuclear talks with Iran

Former US Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday criticized the Biden administration’s talks with Iran on a possible nuclear deal.

During Pence’s time in former President Donald Trump’s administration, the White House took a particularly aggressive stance toward Iran, pulling out of the 2015 nuclear deal with Tehran and intensifying sanctions against the Islamic Republic.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News Channel online or through the app.

Addressing thousands of members of the People’s Mujahideen of Iran (MEK), an Iranian opposition group in exile in Albania, Pence said, “Now President Biden and his administration seek to highlight all the progress we have made in marginalizing the tyrannical regime in Tehran.” threatening.”

“We call on the Biden administration to immediately withdraw all nuclear talks with Tehran,” Pence said.

Read Also:  Kansas beat Miami in second half, reach 16th Final Four

MEK has drawn support from conservative Republicans in the past, including John Bolton, Trump’s former national security adviser and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

The MEK supported Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in the 1979 revolution that ousted the Shah but fell out sharply with the new Islamic authorities and launched a campaign to overthrow the regime.

Albania agreed in 2013 to take in about 3,000 members of the Iranian opposition group in exile at the request of Washington and the United Nations.

In April 2021, Joe Biden’s administration began a new round of talks with Iran in Vienna aimed at backing the US into the nuclear deal through the lifting of sanctions on Iran.

Read Also:  COVID-19 protests threaten border trade between Canada US

But the always delicate dialogue has stalled since March itself.

The 2015 agreement, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA, gave Iran sanctions relief in exchange for a guarantee that Tehran could not develop a nuclear weapon. – Something that he has always refused to do.

But in 2018, the US withdrew from the deal under Trump and reimposed heavy economic sanctions that prompted Iran to back down from its commitments.

Earlier this week, Iran’s foreign minister said that “the train is still not derailed” in talks aimed at restoring the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, despite new US sanctions on the Islamic republic.

Read more: Iran’s foreign minister says only diplomacy can solve Ukraine crisis

Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.

Latest News

Related Stories