Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Girl ‘could have died’ after lump put down to Covid

The parents of a 13-year-old girl from Bristol say she “could have died” after being told a huge swelling on her eye was likely a symptom of Covid-19. Bonnie Ghent, from Hartcliffe, developed a nasty infection which reached her bone and “spread around her head,” after being told by a local GP that it was likely caused by a build-up of fluid after catching coronavirus.

After testing positive on Boxing Day, Bonnie was instructed by a GP to take Nurofen to ease the swelling. She went to a walk-in center in Hengrove and was told to take Piriton, and, when she returned days later, was given a bag of frozen peas to help it go down.

Bonnie’s parents Joanne and Mike say none of the doctors could pinpoint what was wrong, and they became increasingly worried, so much so that they rang 111 and took her straight to the Children’s Hospital. Immediately doctors carried out scans, and found that an infection had reached her bone, spread around her head, and the bone itself had rotted.

Also read: Tributes paid to ‘wonderful young Gashead man’ who died aged just 21

Joanne and Mike were told that if she hadn’t of come into the hospital that day, she ‘would have been dead.’ Bonnie now has part of her skull missing and needs to wear a helmet outside of the house after having major surgery, which has left her with a huge scar. In a few weeks she is due to have a metal plate fitted on her forehead, and will be on antibiotics “for months.”

Joanne said: “She had Covid Boxing Day, and within a week later she had huge swelling on her eye. I thought maybe it was a severe case of conjunctivitis. Due to Covid-19 restrictions the doctors was phone call only but a few days later it got worse and it then reached her forehead which caused a big lump.

“I took her to the GP, he said it was probably caused from coughing when she had Covid, that it was some fluid so he gave her some Nurofen and said to come back in two weeks time. The swelling just got worse and worse, and she became more unwell, by this time I wasn’t happy waiting two weeks, so we took her to the walk-in center and they said to give her Piriton and to come back if it got any worse.

“It did, we took her back again and they said this time to give her a bag of frozen peas to take the swelling down, as they weren’t sure what was causing it. A few hours later it got much worse, we rang 111 and they took 24 hours to reply, my intuition said I needed to take her to hospital now.



Girl 'could have died' after lump put down to Covid
Bonnie has been left with a scar ‘from ear to ear’ after the surgery

“Bonnie was given a room at the hospital as they told her she had to stay overnight. The doctors at the hospital did a CT scan, MRI scans, they did her bloods and said that the infection reached her bone, and spread around her head and the bone itself had rotted.

“She had it cut out, it was a few hours operation leaving a huge scar on her head from ear to ear, a major head surgery and in a few weeks she has to have a metal plate fitted on her forehead so more surgery, more antibiotics for months, and months of more healing.

“The doctors told us if we didn’t take her to the hospital that day, within two days she would of been dead. All this because it wasn’t looked into properly by the local GP. This shouldn’t never of happened and should of been looked into.

“We had to take time off work to look after Bonnie, she is on medication seven times a day plus nurse visits for IV injections and saline water in each nostril and hospital visits. The road is a long recovery.”

Joanne and Mike have set up a fundraising page for their daughter to treat herself when she is feeling better. “I would like all donations to go to Bonnie Ghent for being such a brave girl,” he said. “She has missed school and has not been able to see her friends, for a 13-year-old girl this is so tragic.”

They have also warned parents to get swelling from Covid-19 checked. “I’m so glad we took her to the hospital in time. If you or your child has any swelling from Covid-19 please don’t let this happen to you, get it seen too and don’t let the GP fob you off.”

Donate to Bonnie’s fundraiser here.

Get the best stories about the things you love most curated by us and delivered to your inbox every day. Choose what you love here

,

Nation World News Desk
Nation World News Deskhttps://nationworldnews.com
Nation World News is the fastest emerging news website covering all the latest news, world’s top stories, science news entertainment sports cricket’s latest discoveries, new technology gadgets, politics news, and more.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -