28 September (WNN) — A 41-year-old man who killed five journalists in an attack on a Maryland newspaper three years ago will spend the rest of his life in prison, a judge ordered Tuesday.
Jarrod Ramos took a gun to the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, MD, in June 2018 and began firing indiscriminately at employees inside. Prosecutors said in the lawsuit that the assault was in revenge for a story that had been published a decade earlier about harassing a former classmate.
On Tuesday, Ramos was sentenced to five life sentences without the possibility of parole, plus 345 years.
Ramos pleaded guilty in 2019 to five counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted murder of the first degree, six counts of first-degree assault and 11 counts of using a firearm in a felony of violence.
Ramos’ lawyers argued in the lawsuit that he should not be held criminally liable because of a mental illness. However, jurors recommended life imprisonment in July.
According to the Gazette, Judge Michael Vaux said before sentencing, “To say that the defendant committed a blatant and cruel disregard for the sanctity of human life is an understatement.” “What I impose is what the defendant deserves.”
Several survivors and relatives of the victims spoke on the sentencing on Tuesday.
According to the Baltimore Sun, widow Andrea Chambly said, “The real hunting effect is that he is gone when he deserved to be here.” “He deserved to see his identity, to enjoy this time in his life, and I was very much looking forward to seeing it and experiencing it with him, and he paid me back for all the kindness he gave me.” Now I never will.”